Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
2005 16' International CCD
2012 27' FB International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Question Fixing or Replacing Fresh Water Tank

I have a 1991 Excella - 25ft trailer, we bought it this year and the first time I tried to fill the freshwater tank, the water came gushing out the bottom of the tank. It appears that there is a tear in the bottom of the tank, not sure if it had been there when we purchased the trailer or if something from the road while pulling it could have hit the tank. Does anyone know if the tank can be repaired or would it have to be replaced? I don't know what material the tank is made out of but the hole is more like a tear, could it be some kind of fiberglass? I am curious if anyone has dealt with this before I take it into the dealership.
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I'm not 100% sure about the later model trailers, but the earlier ones are made from ABS. It's difficult to work with, but not impossible. If your tank is fiberglass, you can pull it out, flip it upside down, and slap a patch on it.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

I just began to winterize my '87 25' Sovereign and noticed that when I poured the antifreeze in the fresh water inlet it was dripping out on the garage floor. A quick look underneath confirmed that the fresh water tank is leaking (just dripping). It also looks like the tank has been patched before as there are two small metal? plates (6"x8") attached to the underside of the tank with a significant number of screws. Currently, the tank is leaking from one of these patches.

Did you fix or replace your tank? Any help you can give regarding difficulty and/or costs would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrackman View Post
I just began to winterize my '87 25' Sovereign and noticed that when I poured the antifreeze in the fresh water inlet it was dripping out on the garage floor. A quick look underneath confirmed that the fresh water tank is leaking (just dripping). It also looks like the tank has been patched before as there are two small metal? plates (6"x8") attached to the underside of the tank with a significant number of screws. Currently, the tank is leaking from one of these patches.

Did you fix or replace your tank? Any help you can give regarding difficulty and/or costs would be appreciated.

Thanks
Patches are short lived.

Replacing the tank, is the better program.

Yes, it costs more money, but your done with the problem.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
Fresh Water Tank

We haven't fixed our tank yet, we will have it taken care of this Spring before we take it out. Unfortunately, our local Airstream dealership has not been great to work with so we are not looking forward to dealing with them on this but like Andy says, replacing the tank is better than just patching it, we shall see how this goes soon!!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
Thumbs up Tank is Fine...

Well, two things to report on this issue. First, our local dealership was really great to work with on having some things taken care of, one of which was taking a look at our fresh water tank. I am embarrassed to admit that there was nothing wrong with the tank... the valve was just left open (from the previous owner) so when we went to fill it up, water cam gushing out and it appeared to be coming from the bottom of the tank, looking like a leak.

So, the embarrassment aside, we are glad to check this off our list and happy that we did not have the either repair or replace the fresh water tank!!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
INCA tank repair

For the second time I have come up with an INCA fresh water tank that has a broken inlet/outlet fitting. The first time I had a replacement tank. This time no so lucky. Is there a good way to repair these broken fittings ? This one is broken off about 1/4 the way round and actually to the tank wall surface.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
For the second time I have come up with an INCA fresh water tank that has a broken inlet/outlet fitting. The first time I had a replacement tank. This time no so lucky. Is there a good way to repair these broken fittings ? This one is broken off about 1/4 the way round and actually to the tank wall surface.
Depending on the break, it can be "plastic welded" or cut out and replaced.

The replacement can be carefully welded in place, or the fitting can be "spun" into place, same as it was done originally.

The spinning process works great, but the spinng must be at a very high RPM, like 15,000 RPM or so.

We replace fittings as well as add them in our shop. Not hard to do,but lookout for the flying melted plastic.

Andy

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #9

1973 21' Globetrotter
Woodland , California
Vent hose broke off fresh water tank

My Globetrotter (1973) had the water pump go out so I replaced it and the filter and all the hose since they were 40 years old. While doing so the plastic nipple on the water tank broke off. I couldn't see under the flooring but it felt like the vent port has a hexagon shape nut. I was able to get a pictures of the vent hose and the attachment at the tank.

My question is, "will the vent port at the tank unscrew"? Thanks for any help

Roger

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0528.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	195390

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0524.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	195391
wrpeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Looks like a threaded fitting to me. Put a wrench on it and see if you can unscrew it.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #11

1973 31' Sovereign
Northglenn , Colorado
Should just unscrew but be gentle as possible or could break same as nipple did.
RockinU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
I have a 1995 25' Excella and my tank leaks water exactly as you described. Where is the valve mentioned in your post located? Thanks
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, leaks