Old 12-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Lincoln , California
First Time Fresh Water Tank Fill

I have a 2014 25 ft Flying Cloud, rear bed and for two years we have done full hook up travel. Recently I filled our fresh water tank for the first time (located on the entry side of the trailer). After a short while, I found a slow water leak under the trailer (from the fresh water tank) on the opposite side of the trailer, just about level where the second tire begins. Looking at a rectangle, laying flat, this would be the right upper (or rear) corner of the tank. The two drainage valves are located on the fill side of the trailer. After about one hour or less, the leak stopped and my internal gauge showed my fresh water tank to be full. The next day the area under the trailer was dry. I filled the fresh water tank again (not requiring very much water) and observed the same leak begin again at the same location under the tank. I can feel a hole opening about the size of a 10mm screw where the water leaks from. I am anticipating the leak to stop again and expect my internal gauge to show a full tank tomorrow. I now suspect this is a secondary overflow valve and not a leak. My manual and the Airstream Service Department, over the phone, could not help me. Can anyone confirm my suspicion of a secondary overflow sensor to be true? Jim

dkdeborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I'm thinking its a vent disconected from its fitting on the low side and your are filling the fill tube, which drains out.

Two things, I have no clue if there is a vent, and my trailer does not have this leak so it doesn't sound normal.

Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
My 2012 27FB had a similar problem. Turns out there was a crack high on the tank. Replaced under warranty. No idea of this is your situation or not. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
My 2013 fresh water tank nipple for hose leading to pump cracked. There's no glue or sealant that will adhere to the tank material. The only option is replacement. A new tank is about $200. Labor is the killer. Not a easy job.
kscherzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Open the door where the water pump is. You will see a 1.5" plastic hose and a smaller clear hose. The large hose is the fill and the smaller is the vent. If you overfill, the water should come out the little screen by the fill port. Maybe the vent hose came loose.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:46 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Our 2014 27FB Classic also had a crack in the fresh water tank. It would drain down around 1/3 every time I filled it. Replaced under warranty.
"Hot meals, cold beer, dry bed & flush toilet - everything I look for in a wilderness experience..."
Adiredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:51 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas

I just discovered a similar leak on my 2010 28' Flying Cloud yesterday. After checking the forums it looks like a very common problem on Airstreams new and old.

Your best bet is to request a warranty repair from Airstream as the replacement is not an easy task. Please see the excellent post from Alphonse below. It will show you a typical cause of the leak and the extent of repairs.

Old Cobra AH-1G Pilot

Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote