Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
first fill

Looking for your help with my first fresh water fill on my '72 overlander. This trailer has been well loved and maintained before becoming mine last June. In the forum I have read about low point valves in the water systems, and have seen a maze of copper pipes in the plumbing spaces of my airstream. Can anyone give me a clear point check for valves to be closed/opened before I fill? And any other checks you when opening your rv water systems for the camping season.
I appreciate your experience and thanks for any help you might be able to give.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
If you don't have an owners manual you can find it here https://cdn.airstream.com/wp-content...-manual-52.pdf
Best place to start if not already done so.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I know this isn't what you were asking for but you should consider disinfecting your fresh water system. I do ours once or twice a year.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR DISINFECTION OF POTABLE WATER SYSTEMS ON RECREATION VEHICLES
As approved by the U.S. Public Health Service
To assure complete disinfection of your potable water system, it is recommended that the following procedures be followed on a new system, one that has not been used for a period of time, or one that may have become contaminated. This procedure is also recommended before long periods of storage such as over winter.
1. Prepare a chlorine solution using 1 gallon of water and 1/4 cup of household bleach (sodium hypochlorite solution). With tank empty, pour chlorine solution into the tank. Use 1 gallon solution for each 15 gallons of tank capacity. This procedure will result in a residual chlorine concentration of 50 ppm in the water system. If a 100 ppm concentration is required as discussed in item 3, use 1/2 cup of household bleach with 1 gallon of water to prepare the chlorine solution. One gallon of the solution should be used for each 15 gallons of tank capacity.
2. Complete filling of tank with potable water. Open each faucet and run the water until a distinct odor of chlorine can be detected in the water discharged. Do not forget the hot water taps.
3. Allow the system to stand for at least 4 hours when disinfecting with 50 ppm residual chlorine. If a shorter time period is desired, then a 100 ppm chlorine concentration should be permitted to stand in the system for at least 1 hour.
4. Drain and flush with potable water.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Thanks Alin, good start to go to owners manual first, I agree. I'm looking for experience insider tips.
Whoosch, that is the kind of thing I'm looking for. I will definitely treat the freshwater tank.
Appreciate you both taking time to reply.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
1972 trailers will almost all have user modifications so finding anything is a bit of a treasure hunt. Checking the owners manual is a good way to assess whether the prior owner(s) made minor well thought out repairs and upgrades or were idiots who used garden hose, bent up cloths hangers and brute force.

Where in the World is Waldo? Depends on who used him for the last 48 years. And earlier trailers, on whether it was built in Ohio or Californa.