Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Filling fresh water tank.

Is there a way to fill the fresh water tank without using the fill spout? I have two valves under the sink. One drains the tank. One drain under the trailer. Only way I see is to plug drain and open valve to tank allowing tank to fill from hookup. Vintage 27'1971 Overlander
Old 04-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Those valves are for winterizing your trailer, unless someone has done something strange to it.
The water fill should be outside on the curbside, just behind the main entry door. I suppose if you really, really wanted to not use the exterior fill, you could unhook the fill hose from the exterior fill, and fill it with a hose on the inside. I'm just not sure why you would want to.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
There are discussion somewhere in this maze of info (and mis-info) that describes a procedure where the fresh tank will fill when the trailer is hooked up to city water.
I recall that it entailed adding a shut off valve and I believe a check valve. Seems that it was done there near the pump. If I can easily find it I will post link here.
I am not saying it is a good idea nor what the downside may be. Just that I recall it being discussed somewhere around here.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
The Exterior fill spout is still there but it is fragile. One reason for filling from the hookup is for convenience and to reverse flush the tank. Tried the pump but the filter gets clogged quickly. I have never used tank water. The only way to do it now is to fill and drain. I boondock with hope and prayer! Like to see article.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Water tank filling

The older Airstreams do not have another water fill. You must fill it manually.

CAUTION If you attempt to have the water tank filled without the automatic device, by hooking a hose into the system, please be advised that when the water tank under the floor is full, and you continue to add water, it will expand.

It will expand enough to move the galley cabinet, the reefer cabinet and buckle the floor several inches.

The cost to repair that damage becomes huge.

How do I know. Because we have repaired that exact damaged, caused by overfilling the water tank with from a pressured source.

That expanding water tank generates a huge amount of pressure.

In fact, the same thing can happen using the manual fill, if the water hose pressure is adequate.

Fill the water tank manually, as always, but, SLOWLY. It will save you many headaches.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by niftypkg View Post
The Exterior fill spout is still there but it is fragile. One reason for filling from the hookup is for convenience and to reverse flush the tank. Tried the pump but the filter gets clogged quickly. I have never used tank water. The only way to do it now is to fill and drain. I boondock with hope and prayer! Like to see article.
Your trailer should be equipped with a water filter. The filtered water faucet should be on the galley cabinet, over the sink.

That filter works for city water as well as the tank water.

If you clog up a filter in short order, then I suspect someone has dumped dirt into the water tank, which on your trailer, is easy to do.

Normally, with considerable use, the on board water filter should last at least one year,or more.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
I think this is the thread I was referring to. Note: the model (60's) he is adapting may have a metal tank. Although it appears there is a poly tank of some sort in the pics.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...ill-32586.html

http: //www.airforums.com/forums/f443/fresh-water-fill-32586.html

Based on Inland Andy's advice above I would not try it.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Based all the above advice, yes leave it alone. The OEM filter was removed by the previous owner. I think it was used as a live in for awhile. Presently the interior is 90% original except the davenports have been recovered. Bath needs paint. Thanks for all advice.