Old 05-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Filled tank, water pouring out beneath

When I did the pre purchase inspection of our newly purchased 2007 Safari SE 23', we had partly filled the water tank. (The previous owners never ever used it, using only city water.) All worked OK, but the water pump kept cycling slowly.

After running city water through the system, I got the water pump cycling to stop. Figured it was just air in the system.

So we filled the water tank tonight for this weekend's maiden voyage. Seemed to take a long time to fill, but no water came out the fill spout. After about 30 seconds after turning off the water, water came running out beneath the trailer around the edges of the tank.

My guess is that the tank is cracked. Do these come out from underneath? (Not that I'm fixing it myself, but trying to figure out how much this will cost.) Any other explanations?

I'm rather unhappy right now about this.

Tom

Old 05-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Tom,
This happened to me on an older trailer and it turned out just to be the plastic water fill hose that is connected to the tank and your water fill hole. Mine was brittle from age and just split about midway. Yours might have split right where it enters the tank. I'd check that first.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
The valve for draining the tank for winterizing might be open. I have had that happen on our first trip in the spring and thought the same thing.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Data point #2. I have been draining the tank by the petcock for about 15 minutes. Tank monitor still says 2/3 of tank. Draining from underneath around tank has ceased. Ran pump, shut off normally.

Did I just overfill the silly thing? (But why wouldn't it come out of the fill spout like my old Argosy would?)

The winterizing valves are in the back, so I don't think it's those.

Tom
Old 05-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
A less-painful possibility is that there's a loose or compromised line between the freshwater tank and the pump. The pump sucking air through that would've caused it to keep cycling, putting city pressure in the system after the pump would probably make it stop cycling, and filling the tank all the way might have provided enough pressure in that line to push water past whatever defect is there.

Here's hoping!

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'm wondering if I overfilled the tank and pushed off the fill hose. That would be better (read: cheaper to fix.)

A cracked tank doesn't totally make sense, especially near the top of it (any remaining water would reside at the bottom). Also, if the PO never used it, there would be little water left in it to crack.

Tom
Old 05-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Two cheaper alternatives

Possibly the fill tube itself is cracked. Cheap and not too difficult to replace.

The tank also has a drain valve on the bottom - for winterizing. It's a faucet, and very cheaply made. Get down and check it out. If it's sprung a leak, it'll have to be replaced, but here again, not expensive.

To test for the fill tube failure turn on your water pump and open the cold side of the sink faucet - let it run. If water keeps on coming out, the tank IS holding water but the fill tube is split.

Good luck with this, Paula
Old 05-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
The tank is now holding water fine at the lower level.

As far as I can see (looking into the deep dark recesses) the fill tube is still connected. But the connection at the top of the hose (at the inlet) isn't all that secure. Wondering if there is some sort of overflow vent as well that might not be attached.

Anywho, now that the trailer isn't gushing water out of the bottom, we're going forward with maiden voyage plans. What could go wrong?

Tom
Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
My tank would leak when full and stop after a few gallons were drained. I found that there were two overfill vents that connected to a "T" and then exited the trailer at the filler location. One of the lines had disconnected from the vent. Once that was connected, no more leak.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Thanks! I found one vent which seems to be connected - but I'm guessing there is another one. And I admit to not wiggling anything all that hard - I'll let the shop do that Tuesday.

Tom
Old 05-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The water tank on my 75 has a cross member that runs across the tank and separates the front half from the back half. There is a vent on each half of the tank to prevent air pockets from forming.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
What could go wrong?
I can't believe you actually ASKED that! Now, if anything does go wrong, all anybody can say is, "Well, he asked for it."
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
But I put a smiley face after it! That's like crossing my fingers AND knocking on wood at the same time.

Tom
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
But I put a smiley face after it! That's like crossing my fingers AND knocking on wood at the same time.

Tom
Only if your smiley face is laughing, smirking, sticking his tongue out, or winking. Those indicate a lack of seriousness. A standard smiley face comes across as earnestly happy, and it's just tempting Fate to smite thee when thee least expects it.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote