Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Fill fresh water tank from a bucket (newer Airstream)

Maybe the boondocking spirit had been lost with newer Airstreams, but it seems awfully difficult to me to fill my 2005 with water from a bucket or other non-hose source. My '74, no problem. Pop out the cover for the fresh tank and it was a funnel / bucket holder all in one. With the' 05, no such setup. It's really meant for filing from a hose only. Open a side-swinging door, then unscrew a cap, horizontal hole available at that point.

Has anyone come up with a genius solution for this? The only thing I can think of is a funnel with a tube on it that someone else will have to hold while I stand on a stool and pour in the water. Not real attractive in my book.

-sent from the Airforums mobile app
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I use a 40 gallon water bladder and an old rv water pump connected to the TV battery to transfer with a hose.

Sent from my XT907 using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I also use a 12 volt pump with hose connections on each end. Then two short washing machine hoses. A few other connecting pieces and I can hook the system up to the 7 gal blue camping water jugs I got at Wal Mart. Now no lifting of those 45 # jugs high enough to pour into the water fill (if you can get the water in even). Of course this also requires a 12 volt source for the pump, which I installed in the exterior compartment access near the water fill.

My 2014 FC 20 only has a 23 gal fresh water tank, which is too small for any serious boondocking. Airstream needs a boondocking model or option, with good electrical systems and water capacity. It would be far more useful to me than a TV and fancy radio and sub woofer, which are standard on the FC series.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We were similarly frustrated by the same problem until we solved it in a very low-tech way. We found an offset funnel made from hard plastic at an auto supply store. Spout part of the funnel unscrews and fits inside the funnel part for storage in a 1 gal zip lock bag. The spout part was sort of Z-shaped, but I snipped off the final short angled end so that it was more L-shaped to fits into the water port hole. The funnel will stay in place by itself...no need for another person to hold it. We then fill the tank using a hard sided 6-gal water jug.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #5

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We were similarly frustrated by the same problem until we solved it in a very low-tech way. We found an offset funnel made from hard plastic at an auto supply store. Spout part of the funnel unscrews and fits inside the funnel part for storage in a 1 gal zip lock bag. The spout part was sort of Z-shaped, but I snipped off the final short angled end so that it was more L-shaped to fits into the water port hole. The funnel will stay in place by itself...no need for another person to hold it. We then fill the tank using a hard sided 6-gal water jug.

Could you please post a photo? Thanks
Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
Open a side-swinging door, then unscrew a cap, horizontal hole available at that point.

Has anyone come up with a genius solution for this? The only thing I can think of is a funnel with a tube on it that someone else will have to hold while I stand on a stool and pour in the water. Not real attractive in my book.

I use the white opaque five gallon bottles and the blue seven gallon bottles. Instead of using the little twist spicket I removed the spicket and threaded in an NPT adapter to hose barb and put a 24" piece 3/4" vinyl tubing on it. I can just hold the bottle for about a minute or two and it is empty.

I also saw a setup while boondocking a couple's years ago. The owner had a setup of tubing and those plastic garden hose quick disconnects. So he just had all the bottles on his tailgate on their sides with a PVC ball valve and a QD attached to each one. He had a 12v pump plugged into his towing jack on his and just connected one at a time, turn the pump on and it pushed it to the trailer. As each bottle was almost empty he up ended to get the last bit out, and then shut the pump off. Disconnected and moved to the next bottle and repeated until full tank or bottles empty.

I wish I had taken a picture of it. :-(

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
MYater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I have 3 Rubbermaid 6 gallon water cans (small picture attached). The spigot stores inside the can, similar to portable gas cans. I've had these for many years, not sure if Rubbermaid still makes them but Igloo does. $19 at the Sears site. Mine has handles on the top and back, spigot rotates, cap acts as gasket and pour cap.
Sears.com

Attached Images

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie Q View Post
Jane
I'll second that motion! I'd like to see a pic too. Did you buy it at a major chain parts store? Would be good to go to the same one if I have them in my area.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I have 3 Rubbermaid 6 gallon water cans (small picture attached). The spigot stores inside the can, similar to portable gas cans. I've had these for many years, not sure if Rubbermaid still makes them but Igloo does. $19 at the Sears site. Mine has handles on the top and back, spigot rotates, cap acts as gasket and pour cap.
Sears.com
Maybe I have to switch my water transportation method to those instead of buckets. They look nice and would solve my issue.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This is the bladder I use. It folds up to about 12" X 12" X 4" and is really easy to use.

Y2K

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie Q View Post
Jane
Sure...Here are some pics...

Remember the last "angle" (was about 2" long) of the funnel spout has been cut off... Because the spout sticks well into the water port, the tension holds it there without anyone having to hold it... When the spout is unscrewed and put inside the "bowl" it fits in a 1 gal zip lock bag for storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Funnel_01_Sm.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	213797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Funnel_02_Sm2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	213798  

Name:	Funnel_03_Sm.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	213799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Funnel_04_Sm.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	213800  

Name:	Funnel_05_Sm.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	213801  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 06-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Terry,
I want one.
Can you name the auto parts store?
It looks like the answer for me.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Sears.com

We also have one of these that we take empty (empty) when there will be water available to take to the trailer (it stores easily because of its shape)...we strap it to a collapsible luggage cart with bungee cords to wheel it back to the trailer from the community spigot. Very handy.

When we know there is no water source where we are going, we take extra water in 2 of those the squarish blue water jugs...I believe they hold 7 gals.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 06-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Terry,
I want one.
Can you name the auto parts store?
It looks like the answer for me.
I think I got it at Auto Zone, but you should be able to find it (or something similar) at any auto supply store, Walmart or even Camping World...any where that carries auto supplies. It's primary use is for putting oil in inconvenient or awkward places. I liked this one because of the removable spout to make it more compact....and of course if you need to cut of the end angle, being plastic makes that easy. The brand name of this one is "Ramble"... (I could not find a website...sorry.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 06-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
TB,
That's plenty of info for me to begin my hunt for one.
Thanks!
Old 06-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Here are some offset funnels that might work (from high price to low):

Amazon.com: Bel-Art Scienceware Polyethylene Offset Stem Funnel: Industrial & Scientific

Amazon.com: Sealey Funnel with Fixed Offset Spout & Filter Medium 160mm: Electronics

Amazon.com: LUBEQ 02562 - 1.5 Qt. Plastic Funnel with Detachable Off Set Spout: Automotive
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I do also carry a similar funnel. I just got a trans funnel which has a corrugated flexible end. I heated it and put a permanent angle so it operates like the one above. But tendinitis and an ulnar nerve issue forced me to the bladder and pump.

Sent from my XT907 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Old 06-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I did some searching at stores today and couldn't find anything that I liked. I've found this on Amazon, though. The spout is detachable and will require the end to be cut off as discussed above. I think it's the right one. I'll be buying one next time we place an order.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
If you order the one that Airrogant listed above, it is the correct one to order. I received mine today.

Amazon.com:
LUBEQ 02562 - 1.5 Qt. Plastic Funnel with Detachable Off Set Spout: Automotive
Old 06-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Lol! I should have reviewed the thread before posting! I've rather ignored it for the last week since I was on vacation.

I intended to paste a link with my previous post, but forgot to. It would have been to that same funnel.