Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Faucet behind toilet! What for??

When I had city water hooked up, I turned on this faucet, heard water running, dont know where its going. Toilet works without this on or off.
What is it for??
Roger
Old 06-12-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Is it to a drain for clearing the lines? Look under your trailer to see if water is being drained when that valve is open.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
When in doubt...

Probably it's for a sprayer - like the one in a kitchen sink. Commonly used in RV's to remove "leavings" from the inside of the bowl.

Plumbing and electrical "revisions" of questionable quality and purpose are all part and parcel of buying vintage!

If you don't have a sprayer on your toilet, and you can hear but not see the water - leave it OFF until you're sure what it's for. Did you detect any water draining from around the edges of the belly pan after you turned it on? Undo one or two screws/rivets and drop a corner of the pan - if you get wet, investigate more thoroughly. Water could be going down under the floor into the insulation. Of course it COULD be a primitive "black tank washer" that the previous owner added. You could empty the black tank, have someone turn it on inside and see if you have a sudden increase in flow of liquid down the slinky and if so, then you know.

Paula
Old 06-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
I have a spayer next to the toilet.
crowldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
A PO removed the sprayer that was in ours. I don't understand the real need for it. The few times that I found one was necessary I used the shower wand. Works good enough for us.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:30 AM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
When I had city water hooked up, I turned on this faucet, heard water running, dont know where its going. Toilet works without this on or off.
What is it for??
Roger
Sounds like the attachment for the bidet option.

You must have a European model.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:57 AM   #7
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
We had a sprayer next to the toilet in our 22 International. The unit had a 'wet bath' so it could be used for rinsing down the toilet or any area of the bath.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
I just figured it out. The PO hooked the fresh water thru this valve to the fresh water tank. It fills it when turned on. Good thing I found out, because the fresh water fill on the streetside is not hooked up, and I would have filled up my trailer under the mid bed with fresh water!!
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
I just figured it out. The PO hooked the fresh water thru this valve to the fresh water tank. It fills it when turned on. Good thing I found out, because the fresh water fill on the streetside is not hooked up, and I would have filled up my trailer under the mid bed with fresh water!!
Thanks for the help.
I think you better re-think this.
Or your previous owner was about the dumbest RV'r of all time.

Why would anyone use a faucet (a male item) as a fill port?
Why would anyone place a fill port for fresh (potable) water anywhere near the pot (toilet).
Why would anyone want to pull a hose into the trailer from outside to fill the water hold tank when it should be done from outside?

What might be the result of filling the tank with pressure of a hose? I know on my stock fill, it is done with a gravity port, outside.

I guess perhaps he had a hose with two female fittings that ran from that faucet outside and he hooked into it with a male end there.
Rediculous configuration IMHO.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Ok, let me clarify. The fresh water comes into the trailer at the streetside rear thru a hose hookup. Water goes into rear of trailer behind bath, and after the pressure regulater goes to cold water connections, sink bath etc. PO teed off this line, put a valve behind toilet(convenient), and went to fresh water tank. Only problem, he should of retained street connection in case tank overflows. Also use street fill when sanitizing water system, which now will have to be done another way.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
If it is a threaded faucet it may be intended for hooking up a hose to clean the bowl & tank, as was stated. Look to see if there is a check valve behind the faucet. If there isn't one consider installing one. Not a requirement, but a good idea. Ideally there would also be a vacuum breaker but that may be going overboard.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
It is to fill the fresh water tank when hooked up in a campsite without removing the hose and putting it in the fill opening. Some highger end motorhomes have this as a feature