Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 21' Globetrotter
Davis , California
Experience replacing overpressure relief valve?

I'm convinced I have a leaking 'overpressure relief valve', the notorious 000111 valve referred to by Andy at Inland RV. Mine is in a '77 Globetrotter, tucked under the lower deck of the vanity, but above the plywood subfloor, in a very difficult-to-access spot. Can't go in underneath because of the rear bumper/waste plumbing, nor easily from above due to vanity bottom and adjacent black water tank .
Does anyone have experience replacing that valve without having supported the sweated connections surrounding the valve. I think I can get a wrench on the flare connection, but am worried I'll make things worse by breaking a joint.

What have your experiences been regarding the strength of those sweated connections?
flyflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
In my personal opinion, the overpressure valve on the cold water inlet is unnecessary to begin with (ducks). Cap it off and go without it. I have never been in any situation where the inlet pressure was so high the valve opened in any event. The hose you use to connect the trailer to the supply will more than likely fail before the valve pops off.

Again, I state that this is my opinion only.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Put an in line water pressure regulator in the line where it attaches to the water hydrant. Then you are safe and do not need the over pressure relief valve to function. Turn off the hydrant, when ever you leave the trailer in the park while you do some local exploring.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 21' Globetrotter
Davis , California
Tried and failed to replace valve

So, the valve is under the vanity, with a flare nut on the outlet, and the valve threaded into a 'T' fitting. Got the flare nut off with a little elbow banging, scrapes, and muttering. Then, I found out there was insufficient clearance to spin out the valve without it binding against another copper pipe against the trailer wall . All immovable....

The moral of the story seems to be to live with some little inconveniences, such as a slightly leaking overpressure relief valve.
flyflinger is offline   Reply With Quote