Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
ex boater plumbing questions

Hi guys, new Airstreamer (Bambi 19) and ex boater with plumbing questions. These questions may seem really stupid to most of you but I am not getting something. I've read and reread my manual but am not not totally understanding. Here goes:
1) It would seem there are three ways to take on water? All intakes on street side. I see a city water intake, which I assume is for campground water? Right below it is another intake that says water intake only. And, toward the front is a locked door with an intake that I think simply brings water directly into the water tank under the left dinette seat. If I am right in what I see, what is the water intake only, right below the city water intake?

2) Water on a boat (mine anyway) comes out of the faucet down the drain and exits the boat. On my AS does this water go to the gray water tank?

With your help I'm sure I'll ask better questions in the future. Thanking all in advance for helping this new AS'er...... Woody

Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The water from the faucet goes down the drain and into the grey water tank. If the grey water dump valve is closed, the grey water is held in the tank.
There are NO stupid questions. So keep asking.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Thank you so much. Can one leave the gray water valve open as it is just from doing the dishes etc or is this verbotten in RVland?
Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Woody,

Welcome to the forums! I will take a shot at answering your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingwoody View Post
1) It would seem there are three ways to take on water? All intakes on street side. I see a city water intake, which I assume is for campground water? Right below it is another intake that says water intake only. And, toward the front is a locked door with an intake that I think simply brings water directly into the water tank under the left dinette seat. If I am right in what I see, what is the water intake only, right below the city water intake?
Older trailers like our 1980 model have only two fresh water inlets, a garden hose fitting to connect city water to the trailer when parked in a campground with a water connection, and the locked door which allows you to fill the fresh water tank.

Newer Airstreams include another hose fitting which connects to a built-in flushing system for the sewage holding tank (black water tank). Connecting water to this fitting sprays water into the black water tank. If you connect a hose to this fitting with the black water dump valve closed, your black water tank will overflow! It seems like that fitting ought to be clearly labeled to distinguish it from the fresh water inlet, but they don't seem to be.

Quote:
2) Water on a boat (mine anyway) comes out of the faucet down the drain and exits the boat. On my AS does this water go to the gray water tank?
Water that goes down the sink and shower drains go into the gray water tank, and of course, water that goes down the toilet goes into the black water tank. When connected to a sewer in a full-hookup campsite, you can leave the graywater dump valve open and graywater can drain continuously. You only want to open the blackwater dump valve when there is appreciable water in the tank so that it will empty completely.

Hope you get some nice weather soon in the UP! I know it was still snowing there yesterday!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingwoody View Post
Thank you so much. Can one leave the gray water valve open as it is just from doing the dishes etc or is this verbotten in RVland?
It used to be common practice to drain graywater on the ground but that is now illegal in many areas

Where draining graywater is permitted, what you want to do is connect a short length of garden hose to a sewer cap with a hose fitting and route the graywater off into a suitable spot where it will soak into the ground. Keep a separate short length of garden hose for this purpose with no male threaded fitting so it can't be used by mistake for drinking water.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Thanks to all for your response and input. All makes sense now. Manuals seem to be poorly written.. at least o me. Might be the singer rather than the song though. Woody
Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

A day or so before we plan to dump the black water we close the grey knife valve. in that way we can flush the lines and hose without using more fresh water.
Last year there was a drought in many western states. In our favorite forest service campground, campers are encouraged to use the grey to water the thirsty trees and plants. In prior years dumping was prohibited.
My sister purchased a new motorhome a few months ago. It has two toilets an a vacuflush system. Just like a boat.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Knife valve? That is a new term for me. Remember, I bought this late last fall and threw it into storage as soon as I got it home. Just pulled it out of storage last Wednesday. Like I stated earlier I think the AS manuals leave a lot to be desired. So you empty the black tank and then flush it with the gray water tank? Am I understanding that correctly? Thanks........
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
There are no dumb questions... so ask away ...

You don't say what year your 19' Bambi is, but based on your questions, I am presuming it's a newer one like our 2006. The upper water inlet near the rear quarter is for your potable city water hookup, that is, where you attach the city water line in a campground or RV park to your rig in order to use city water directly, rather than fresh water from your fresh water tank. When you are hookup up to city water, you do not need to turn your water pump on.

The lower inlet that has a smaller collar and says "Water Intake Only" is the black tank flushing system inlet. You should not use your city water hose to flush the black tank. Use a separate hose dedicated to that use. After draining the black tank if the situation allows, you can use the flushing system to spray and rinse the inside of the tank with the drain valve open.. Personally I don't think this is very efficient, so we use the flush inlet to fill the black tank to about 3/4 full, then open the valve to let it rush out...this will help rid the tank of solids that may have been left behind from the initial drain. NOTE that if you DO chose to close the black water drain valve (someone called it the valve) while the black tank flush is running, be sure not to let your black tank overflow or you will have an unpleasant mess to clean up inside your rig.

Some dump stations do not have a threaded rinse hose ... in those situations we don't use the flush system, of course. We also don't bother with a flush-out it if we are dumping and moving to another location where we will be using the black tank again. We usually reserve the full flush-out for the final drain before heading home. Also as a general rule, we dump the black tank first, then the grey tank, so the grey water flushes the dump hose.

If you are in the unusual situation where you are allowed to drain the grey water onto the ground, you can leave the grey water valve open with a hose attached to direct it away from the trailer. Even grey water has a bad smell if it is allowed to sit very long in your grey water tank (especially in warm weather), so you don't want to dump it directly out the drain onto the ground or you will smell it..

The forward water intake port behind the locked door is for filling the fresh water tank that is located under the dinette seat. Use a fresh water hose for this purpose... and not the same hose you use for flushing the black tank. To use water in the fresh water tank you will need to turn the water pump on.

Good luck!

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote