Old 12-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #1

2006 25' International CCD
Santa Cruz , California
dumb question - water hookups

hi. i am new to this game. thus far, i've just been filling my dry camping fresh water tank, using that water, then refilling. i ran out of water tonight and thought i'd try to use the hookup camping water option. so i plugged the hose in and turned on the water hookup. the light on the monitor kept blinking red for fresh water. why? additionally, when i turned the water heater on the water stayed cold, even after 15-20 minutes. why?

i understand these questions is pretty lame. i'm about as green as they come.

thanks, stu

Old 12-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Welcome to the forum.

Hi, hooking up the water hose only gets you water to your systems, but does not fill your fresh water tank. So if your tank was empty before you connected to outside water, it will still be empty and flashing red. Hopefully you opened the faucets on the hot side to purge all of the air out of you water heater before you turned on the heat.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #3

2006 25' International CCD
Santa Cruz , California
thanks. i did not open the faucets on the hot side to purge air out of water heater before turning on water heater. now it appears as though water heater is not working?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
I fear responding to particular configuration questions as your AS may not be put together the same as mine. On my '07 International, I have a fresh water tank that is filled on the curb side of the TT - using it up empties the tank and I need to refill it again. If I hook up the hose to provide constant water, the hose is screwed into the fitting on the road side of the AS. That provides water direct from the campgrounds water supply and my pump is not needed to pump the water through the trailer.

Did you use the different hook up for the campgrounds water? Perhaps there really is an explaination in there somewhere. Good Luck.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
I have a fresh water tank that is filled on the curb side of the TT - using it up empties the tank and I need to refill it again. If I hook up the hose to provide constant water, the hose is screwed into the fitting on the road side of the AS. That provides water direct from the campgrounds water supply and my pump is not needed to pump the water through the trailer.
From what I have seen this is the way that ALL AS trailers' water systems work.

The fresh water tank and the street supply water only ever meet in the drains. Street water can be used to fill the fresh water, but only by putting a hose into the filler panel on the outside of your trailer.

As for your hot water heater, you didn't mention if the pilot flame is working. If you are completely new, perhaps you weren't aware that the gas supply needs to be turned on, and the pilot must be lit, either by means of a switch inside your trailer, or by lighting it by going outside and opening the hatch.

Have you read the owner's manual regarding this? It should give specific instructions for your trailer.

ps: Welcome to airforums!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
When you hooked up to city water did you turn the pump off? Once on city water the pump should be off. The blinking light on the monitor may be effected if the pump is still on.

It normally take about 15 mins. to heat a cold tank in the hot water heater on gas.

Are you heating the water with gas or electric. Electric will take longer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
When you hooked up to city water did you turn the pump off? Once on city water the pump should be off.
.................................................. .......
Hi Howie,
This is not universally true. The manual for my trailer specifically states that if you feel the campground water pressure is low, you can augment it by leaving the pump on and receive a mixture of city and tank water.
Regards,
Ken
Old 12-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your questions, the flashing red light on the fresh water tank on your status panel means that that tank is either empty or close thereto. Whether the water pump is on, off, or gone, has no bearing on this reading. Put enough fresh water in there to bring the status light to at least amber, so that you will have some fresh water for washing and flushing while traveling. You must add water to this tank using a hose to the filler port behind the little door. It is probably best to leave the pump off while on city water.

As to the water heater. Most late model Airstreams have gas-only water heaters, and ignition is electronic. Make sure that the gas tanks have some gas in them, and are turned on at the front of the trailer.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Hi Howie,
This is not universally true. The manual for my trailer specifically states that if you feel the campground water pressure is low, you can augment it by leaving the pump on and receive a mixture of city and tank water.
Regards,
Ken
Yes I do this all the time when on a Daisy Chain Rally hook up. I was attempting to solve his problem and any additional information might help in that quest.

Aristream changes things so often one has to return to basics when problem solving. My trailer has an "Auto Fill System", not common on the newer rigs. Some trailer have gas and electric heaters so I had to ask the question.

Moosetag has the same vintage trailer and was able to address the question directly.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the forums...you'ree in the right place for all thing Airstream...nd you will find anwers to just about everything here... and folks willing to help out. There are no lame questions. We were all new to this at one point or another!

I'm sure you have the same set up as we have in our 06 19'. The question as to the flashing red light on your fresh water tank has been answered...the fresh water tank is empty or close to it and if you are using city water coming in through the exterior port, it will not fill your fresh water tank..that has to be done from the outside of your trailer using the fresh water fill port. We typically turn off the water pump if we are on city water, but if you have low pressure, having it on will help (but you must have water in your fresh water tank).

The water heater: the normal operation is to turn the switch on for the water heater. The red light in the switch will go on briefly until the gas is ignited then it will go off...and you should be able to hear the water heater heating. If the switch light remains lit, then your water heater is not igniting properly...either there is an issue at the heater itself or with the ignition...or it's not getting gas from your propane tanks. Check your owner's manual for trouble shooting the water heater.

Good luck!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you here with us.......

......the cool thing here on the Forums is, there are no dumb questions...

Al
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Guess I will be the jerk for a night.
Some of us that have older top of the line Airstreams like my 1989 Squarestream CAN fill the fresh water tank from the city fitting on the street side.We us what Airstream called "AUTO FILL".This system has a switch on the monitor panel that when you turn it on lets city water into the fresh water tank and will fill it up to 3/4 full then shuts off.The red light is on as long as the AUTO FILL switch is on.
Are you folks saying that Airstream no longer uses this fine system on newer trailer?
Sorry but some times older is better.Back to the future.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Wake Forest , North Carolina
How can you tell if the hot water bypass is working? I have a 08 25ft. I know how to work the hot water - I want to bypass for winterization
Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7husker View Post
How can you tell if the hot water bypass is working? I have a 08 25ft. I know how to work the hot water - I want to bypass for winterization
7husker....Attached is a copy of the page from my 2007's Owners Manual regarding the position of the valves on the water heater bypass. If you want to make sure its working, set it in the winter position, pull the water heater plug and turn on your water pump or connect to a outside water source. If the bypass is working you won't get any water flowing out of the heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AWH Bypass.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	92483