Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Beaumont , Texas
Driving with fresh water tank full - is it OK?

Have 20 ft FC 2010 and I wonder if somebody could comment on this topic. I would be interested on an opinion on sturdiness of the tank itself, it's support, can it crack or break from the frame? In my case, when towing, the other tanks are practically empty.
Also, is it better to tow with full tank or with less, let's say half?
Thanks for comments!
bovk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I normally don't tow with the water tank full, maybe with 5 gal or so, just in case I need some water in route. However yesterday I filled mine in anticipation of the storm coming and all of a sudden had three little pin hole leaks in the side/top of the tank. In 8 months this is the first time I have actually filled the tank to the top. There is probably a lesson there for myself and others.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovk View Post
Have 20 ft FC 2010 and I wonder if somebody could comment on this topic. I would be interested on an opinion on sturdiness of the tank itself, it's support, can it crack or break from the frame? In my case, when towing, the other tanks are practically empty.
Thanks for comments!
I am on my 3rd travel trailer after two truck campers. I have always started out trips with the fresh water tank full. It has never caused a problem. I usually come home with it partially full. No problem there either. I know there are others who do it differently. You will find many opinions and methods, so sort through them all and choose what suits you. Trailer design and construction limits should not be a factor.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Much depends on your destination. If you are heading to dry camp and do not have access to a water supply or would feel more comfortable with a supply of water from your home, you can travel full. Your rig can handle it.

If you are going somewhere with water hookups you can travel empty if you wish and reduce the weight ... but would suggest having at least some water on board in case you need to stop unexpectedly. Then when you arrive at your destination if you have city water you can hook up...

If you do not have a water hookup but water is available you can schlep water and fill the tank. In this scenario we prefer to travel full rather than schlep.

If we are not sure where we are going to land on a given day, we travel with a full fresh water tank.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovk View Post
Thanks for comments!
Your Airstream is designed to tow with full water.

The biggest reason is that it lowers the center of gravity, making the trailer more stable on curves.

Next reason, and perhaps the best reaso, is what would you do, if your tow vehicle blew a water hose??

Easy answer, the trailer has the water ready for use.

Tape up the broken hose with duct tape, refill the radiator, put the cap back onBUT, do not tighten the cap. You may have to stop every few miles to continue, until you can get the break repaired, but guess where you can get all that water, without any outside assistance.

Safe traveling towing a trailer, has many little kind of things that most people never think of.

But, one big one is, ALWAYS FULL OF WATER.

The loss in fuel economy is so small that it's difficult to even measure.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
My trailer tows smoother with a full tank.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Forgot to mention earlier that there can be a disadvantage to a partially filled fresh water tank...sloshing...throwing weight of the water back and forth as you tow...probably not a huge factor, depending on the size of your tank, but still something to consider...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We always tow with a full tank of water, because a great boondocking site may just be around the next bend in road...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
For the past 34 years and probably 150,000 to 200,000 miles of towing I have always towed with a full water tank if leaving a place where water was available. You never know when a great boondocking spot may show up and I like water. I have never had one single problem with doing it that way, and have had somewhere around 15 AS products over that time period.

Oh, I also try to start with empty holding tanks, so there is a place to put the water...grin. And at least one full propane tank...to automatically use when the one in service runs out.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
The worst thing to be out of on the road is water. The full tank, 39 gallons in our case, isn't any heavier than a fat mother in law. When faced with the choice, throw her out and keep the water.
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
We always tow with a full tank of water, because a great boondocking site may just be around the next bend in road...
A PO doubled our water tank capacity. He pulled the original (I believe 17 gal) and installed twin 18 - 20 gal tanks under the dinnete seats. That plus two large full propane tanks on the tongue places a lot of weight on my hitch. If we are going dry camping which means an abundance of supplies I load the trailer heavy over and behind the tandem axles. If the journey will include stays at sites with hookups the load will be lighter plus with less water.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kline View Post
The worst thing to be out of on the road is water. The full tank, 39 gallons in our case, isn't any heavier than a fat mother in law. When faced with the choice, throw her out and keep the water.
.......and perhaps even more weight will leave.....your wife......

nEil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We also have a 20ft and I think the water tank is in the back, right? I thought that maybe this will unload the tongue weight somewhat.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
I usually travel with a light fresh water tank - a full tank weighs more than 300#! You will learn how to find the threaded faucets at gas stations and campgrounds at your destination, or to use one of these:
Water Thief - Stanley/oliver Products 0176 - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World

I always fill the tank when arriving home. Silvia is our "disaster pod."
Old 08-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We also never leave home without a full tank. Twice we have broken down on the road, had to spend the nite in gas station parking lots.

We have been in State Parks when the power went out along with the well.

We have been in city parks when someone backed over the water spigot, shutting down the entire system.

Every time, we were sure glad we had our own water supply.

There are a lot of things you can get along without but water is not one of them.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
We usually tow with a full tank, at least on our way to the campsite, because we usually boondock. Sounds like there are some other compelling reasons that I was not aware of to tow with a full tank. That is what I really appreciate about this forum- the diverse opinions and some facts, that allow me to learn more about Airstreaming.

Since the weight is in the front, I could also tow with a near empty tank (dump the balast) if I needed to lessen the tongue weight for a particular reason.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I always leave with full tanks. Even if I'm not planning on using it all, I take all that I can. I would rather have extra, than not enough.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
My classic Moho has a 80 gallon tank that when full weighs 667.621 pounds. You can notice when it's full as your driving up a mountain. I go up mountains faster when there is no water on board. Just saying. Steve
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I like to tow full, because I bought a trailer to use it's features. People that don't pee in their toilets or use their ovens confuse me... Just tow a $4000 cargo trailer and put a queen bed in it then...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
What if you don't particularly like the taste of water? Could you not fill your fresh-water tank with your favourite beverage? (I like iced tea with pear cider). Then you would have your "ballast" and your favourite beverage on tap to boot.

Would work at an RV park where you can use the site tap for water to make coffee etc., and the communal shower to keep clean.