Old 08-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We also never leave home without a full tank. Twice we have broken down on the road, had to spend the nite in gas station parking lots.

We have been in State Parks when the power went out along with the well.

We have been in city parks when someone backed over the water spigot, shutting down the entire system.

Every time, we were sure glad we had our own water supply.

There are a lot of things you can get along without but water is not one of them.

John

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
We usually tow with a full tank, at least on our way to the campsite, because we usually boondock. Sounds like there are some other compelling reasons that I was not aware of to tow with a full tank. That is what I really appreciate about this forum- the diverse opinions and some facts, that allow me to learn more about Airstreaming.

Since the weight is in the front, I could also tow with a near empty tank (dump the balast) if I needed to lessen the tongue weight for a particular reason.

Dan

Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I always leave with full tanks. Even if I'm not planning on using it all, I take all that I can. I would rather have extra, than not enough.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
My classic Moho has a 80 gallon tank that when full weighs 667.621 pounds. You can notice when it's full as your driving up a mountain. I go up mountains faster when there is no water on board. Just saying. Steve
Old 08-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I like to tow full, because I bought a trailer to use it's features. People that don't pee in their toilets or use their ovens confuse me... Just tow a $4000 cargo trailer and put a queen bed in it then...
Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
What if you don't particularly like the taste of water? Could you not fill your fresh-water tank with your favourite beverage? (I like iced tea with pear cider). Then you would have your "ballast" and your favourite beverage on tap to boot.

Would work at an RV park where you can use the site tap for water to make coffee etc., and the communal shower to keep clean.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I like to tow full, because I bought a trailer to use it's features. People that don't pee in their toilets or use their ovens confuse me... Just tow a $4000 cargo trailer and put a queen bed in it then...
I have some friends that did just that. They bought a used race car hauler for under 2k, put another couple of grand in it in electrical and plumbing systems. Did all the work themselves and have a first rate hard walled tent. All the comforts of home without the cost of a factory built TT. A plus is that it is watertight with never a leak and if anything breaks they don't have to spend many hours and thousands of dollars to have it fixed.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
What if you don't particularly like the taste of water? Could you not fill your fresh-water tank with your favourite beverage? (I like iced tea with pear cider). Then you would have your "ballast" and your favourite beverage on tap to boot.

Would work at an RV park where you can use the site tap for water to make coffee etc., and the communal shower to keep clean.

Better yet, just go where the water tastes like wine.

Canned Heat - Going Up The Country [HQ MUSIC] - YouTube
Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post

This post's very existence makes me wonder what you put in yours. Personally, I don't want to flush my toilet with 12 year old scotch.

Ken
Old 08-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
When we leave home our fresh water is aways full from our well so we know where the water is comming from. As you can see our AS is a 77 and the tank aint fell out of it yet.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Beaumont , Texas
Thanks to all for your insight! I did not expect the result - a majority is for towing with fresh water tank full, there are no concerns about structural problems, loads and so on. Since I have only 20 gal tank, about 170 lbs I am not going to worry abut this and keep it full. Way more convenient on the road and so on. I thought that the post from Andy was funny but then I remembered how much water I needed to refill the cooling system after changing water pump on the road. So again, it is good to have all the water we can carry.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Beaumont , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Your Airstream is designed to tow with full water.

The biggest reason is that it lowers the center of gravity, making the trailer more stable on curves.

Next reason, and perhaps the best reaso, is what would you do, if your tow vehicle blew a water hose??

Easy answer, the trailer has the water ready for use.

Tape up the broken hose with duct tape, refill the radiator, put the cap back onBUT, do not tighten the cap. You may have to stop every few miles to continue, until you can get the break repaired, but guess where you can get all that water, without any outside assistance.

Safe traveling towing a trailer, has many little kind of things that most people never think of.

But, one big one is, ALWAYS FULL OF WATER.

The loss in fuel economy is so small that it's difficult to even measure.

Andy
Good point Andy,
I just remembered how much water it took to refill the cooling system of the TV after changing the water pump on the road.

Thanks to all for replies, I am going to keep the tank full for all the good reasons above.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
We always begin with a full tank of water, but we are often camping in places that do not have hookups... the only time we do not is in the dead of winter if we are camping to avoid freezing lines and other obvious problems. We always keep the water as full as we can until we return home (just for safety if we break down, or just want another cup of coffee!) then we empty the tank and rinse and refill when we begin our next journey.

My blogs: http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com
http://siskiyoucountycamping.blogspot.com
http://campingalongi-5.blogspot.com/
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #28
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I drag the Airstream around because I don't like hotels for business trips or pleasure trips. The airstream is simply more comfortable and has my stuff in it. It is always prepared with full water, propane, and empty holding tanks. It has provided sanctuary during floods, power failures, relative invasion, and numerous Jeep malfunctions. And, frequently, on extended trips, unplanned diversions to no mans land. I rarely use camp ground water hook ups, but always fill up before I leave and empty the holding tanks. Never let your guard down and always be prepared to take full advantage of the best contraption made to allow one to travel well.