Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Dripping H2O tank

I have a 1978 Ambassador. There is a threaded plug in the bottom of my fresh water tank that has a slow drip. About a drop every few seconds. This tank was replaced by the factory about 5 years ago and has never leaked. I winterize it every year by draining that tank. I can't figure this slow leak out. I don't believe it is coming from the threaded plug but I will remove that, wrap it with teflon tape, put it back in and check it anyway. I think it is up higher and is just dripping out of that spot. All I can think of is that perhaps I have a loose clamp and it is dripping back from the water hose going to the pump. It will drip days after I have put water into the tank so I do not think that it is spillage from filling the tank. Any suggestions?
Many thanks.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Another spot to check is the filler hose. Mine was leaking at the joint where the hose meets the fill receptacle at the exterior wall. Of course the end at the tank could also leak. Good luck with it.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne
I have a 1978 Ambassador. There is a threaded plug in the bottom of my fresh water tank that has a slow drip. About a drop every few seconds. This tank was replaced by the factory about 5 years ago and has never leaked. I winterize it every year by draining that tank. I can't figure this slow leak out. I don't believe it is coming from the threaded plug but I will remove that, wrap it with teflon tape, put it back in and check it anyway. I think it is up higher and is just dripping out of that spot. All I can think of is that perhaps I have a loose clamp and it is dripping back from the water hose going to the pump. It will drip days after I have put water into the tank so I do not think that it is spillage from filling the tank. Any suggestions?
Many thanks.
Tom
Tom.

You need to find the source of the leak.

In your case, that should be an easy problem.

Dump several ounces of red or green food coloring into the water tank.

Add some water to the tank, which will mix the coloring with the water.

Look for the colored water source.

CAUTION: DO NOT RUN THE WATER PUMP.

Once you have found the leak and fixed it, double check the fix.

Then empty the water tank, and refill it with water again.

The very small traces of food coloring that may be left in the water tank, offer no consequences.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Thanks Dave...that is the first thing I thought of, but the tank leaks with only a few gallons in it. If it was the fill pipe I would think it would leak when putting in water and then stop. Thanks Andy as well. This trailer has mid twins so I removed the roadside twin and gained access to the hole in the floor where the water pump line goes to the tank. There it was dripping. What I can't figure out is whether the leak is at the 90 degree plastic elbow connection coming out of the tank that connectes to the PEX line or the clamp on the PEX line. It doesn't really matter I guess since I will address both issues. The clamp on the PEX is a standard hose clamp that is tight, but my question is can a standard hose clamp really tighten up a PEX tube? I would think not. At least not enough for a lasting connection I wouldn't think. So, I think I will remove that clamp, remove the 90 degree elbow from the tank and rethread it back in with pipe goop. I will then try and transition flexable clear pressure hose onto the elbow with a clamp and then clamp that around the PEX. It is a tight fit in there so we will see if I can do it. Any opinions on that method?
Again...thanks for the help.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'm certainly no expert, but your approach makes sense to me. I'm glad you found the leak site...and I'll bet that's the most common place for H2O tanks to leak...that is, where the water exits the tank...that's where the most water weight pressure is (being at the bottom of the tank) and also closest to the most obvious vibration source, the water pump. I haven't had this problem with the AS so far but I did have it in an earlier life with an SOB...we discovered a slow leak on the maiden voyage in the SOB. (Discovering soggy carpet is most disconcerting.) I didn't fix it myself, but took it to the dealer where we bought it. That repair was done with plumber's tape and epoxy-like sealing goo at the tank outlet and clamps on the flexible tube at connections.

I'm not sure everyone would agree with this, but because we use the unit year-round, we don't winterize. Therefore, I tend not to completely empty the fresh water tank between trips...I feel like it's worse for the pipes and seals to be "dry" for long periods than to have some moisture to keep them tight (especially in hot, dry AZ climate). I add a very small amount bleach or commercial "water freshener" to the fresh water tank so the water doesn't get skanky, and I also draw a glass of water periodically and do a smell and taste test to make sure it isn't going funky, particularly if it sits for more than a couple of weeks. If it does happen to sit for longer than I like...I drain the tank and put in some fresh water. Haven't had any problems so far.

We also run water in the sinks and shower periodically to keep the traps from going dry, and keep a little water in the toilet to keep that sealed and moist. Doing all this adds a little water to the grey and black tanks and keeps other seals along the system "lubricated' as well.

Happy Trails and Tales...TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote