Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Draining

Have a 1973 Safari that I purchased recently and have bin resolving leaks do to frozen copper pipes. I believe all the leaks have been repaired. I closed the two valves under the bathroom sink and three valves under the galley. Turned on the city water and it is pouring from a hose under the trailer by the galley. It sounds like it is coming from the water heater. Is there a drain valve in the water heater that is open and if so where is it. Regards, Eddo
eddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There sure isa drain valve on the water heater at the bottom of the tank. Hext time you pressurize the system to test it, use 45 psi air pressure then you will not have as big a mess to clean up. To see if there is a small leak, just have a pressure gage in the line and look for a pressure drop decay after you shut off the air supply. That is how plumbers do it.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddo
Have a 1973 Safari that I purchased recently and have bin resolving leaks do to frozen copper pipes. I believe all the leaks have been repaired. I closed the two valves under the bathroom sink and three valves under the galley. Turned on the city water and it is pouring from a hose under the trailer by the galley. It sounds like it is coming from the water heater. Is there a drain valve in the water heater that is open and if so where is it. Regards, Eddo
if it was the water heater itself, you'd see it coming out the water heater door; not underneath the trailer. (unless someone modified something on your trailer...or mine, for that matter! ).

the only other way out of my water heater is through the lines that feed it...which would be through those valves under the galley. On my trailer, those 3 valves are tied together to a single drain line that sticks out through the belly pan. (3/8ths copper pipe). I suspect that one of those valves is not really closed all the way, or is busted.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Could be on board fresh water tank.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
if it was the water heater itself, you'd see it coming out the water heater door; not underneath the trailer. (unless someone modified something on your trailer...or mine, for that matter! ).

the only other way out of my water heater is through the lines that feed it...which would be through those valves under the galley. On my trailer, those 3 valves are tied together to a single drain line that sticks out through the belly pan. (3/8ths copper pipe). I suspect that one of those valves is not really closed all the way, or is busted.

That is what I suspected also, so I took out the valve stems under the galley and one burst out the side end where the washer is, probably from over tightening because of a drip and not wanting to change the washer. Now the problem I have is I can't find new valve stems to replace the ones I have. Any suggestions ??
eddo is offline   Reply With Quote