Old 04-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
City , Florida
Does anyone know what these are?

I am refurbishing a 1982 31ft Excella (center bathroom). This Excella has been sitting for many, many months. Today I connected it up to the city water supply and got barely a trickle from the faucets which soon stopped completely.

My first thought was that the water pressure regulator was the culprit, so I started tracing the supply line which led me to a compartment under the wardrobe (opposite the bathroom). I did find the water pressure regulator (a brass Watts) and indeed it does appear that it has seized up from lack of use.

However, whilst taking it out I saw what appears to be a tank. It has wires at 3 levels going into it. At the top of the tank is a plastic 90 degree elbow with one end threaded into the tank and the other showing a broken piece of what was probably a hose barb. Adjacent to it is a piece of gray plastic pipe with a hose clip and what I assume to be the broken hose barb. The pipe goes into a hole above it which it shares with a blue/white corrugated tube about 1.5 inches in diameter and some wires. I pulled the pipe out, it wasn't attached to anything and is 24 inches long.

I should be much obliged if someone can tell me what the corrugated tube, tank, wires, outlet elbow and gray plastic pipe are for and what they do. I attach some photos.

My apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks in advance,

Norm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elbow&pipe.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	209649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elbow.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	209650  

Name:	Pipe.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	209651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sensors.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	209652  

Name:	PlasticElbow.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	209653  

Old 04-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
All of these hoses are connecting to your fresh water tank. The 3 wires are sensors for the tank (reads out on the panel in the front of your trailer if operating properly). The green hose is your fresh water fill that you fill your water tank with from the outside. The grey pipes are the feed for the trailer from the fresh water tank. If any of them are loose, you'll probably have water coming out from your tank if you fill it up. Hope this helps you a bit.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think the gray tube that is broke is a vent tube. You probably should not have pulled the tube out. It just vents the tank to keep it from getting pressurized when you add water or from creating a vacuum when you pump water out. Most of those Watt regulators can be taken apart and the O-rings replaced. The Vacuum cleaner hose is the tank fill line, like Becky Said. The other two hoses are coming to and from the pump. One is the suction like for the pump and the other is the supply line. I have almost the same trailer. If you need help just let me know. You might remove the water fill door and see if you can find where the vent hose went. Usually there is a vent line on the water fill door.

Perry
Old 04-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Long Island , New York
Ya know what Perry, I just dropped my fresh tank, and pulled the vent line off the fill housing. I thought I would just pull the fill housing off the side of the trailer and connect a new hose, but after trying to remove it I realized, that its pretty well stuck with sealant from the inside, and didn't want to break it simce its not available. I took the vent hose and ran it down and out the bottom of the tank pan, so now the overflow runs down and out the bottom, the tank seems to fill faster too!! Downside???
Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Whatever works. You need to put something like a fuel filter on the end of it to keep bugs out. Mud daubers will make a nest in the end of the tube clogging it up.

Perry
Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
City , Florida
Thanks Perry, you are quite right, it is indeed a vent tube. I accessed the fresh water filler from the inside and saw the molded tube (see photo) to which it should have been attached. Curiously however, it couldn't have been attached because the tube I removed was only 2ft long and it would require about 3ft to reach the outside vent.

Wherever I can I am going to replace the original piping/fittings in this Airstream. The plasticizers have dried out (when it comes to plastics it's the plasticizers that cost the big bucks so...) and it has all become brittle and snaps easily. Also, the connections are made with clinched metal rings and I prefer connections that may be dissembled/reassembled quickly and easily.

I much appreciate your offer of assistance and advice. I know nothing whatsoever about trailers so I hope your offer does not become a burden to you and prove the saying that "no good deed shall go unpunished."

So, while the offer is still extant I'm taking you up on your offer:

1) Is the black tank (see photo) adjacent to fresh water tank the gray or black water tank? I took the plug out and looked in the tank but it is clean and odorless but this may be because if it is the black tank I have previously flushed both tanks very well from the outside. Whichever one it is, where is the other to be found and can it to be accessed from above?

2) If you have replaced any water piping and fittings please let me know what you used and what to look out for.

3) This Excella has an IntelliPower 9200 45 Amp series with the wizard. It seems to be working OK (in tests outside of the trailer) and someone else (a seller of these devices) thinks it is working OK too. The PO put a new Interstate 29DC wet cell deep cycle battery in the trailer. He left it plugged in all the time and the battery developed a bad cell and it sulfated/overheated within 12 months. I notice that of all the power converter/chargers on the market the Intellipower seems to be the only one that has a 14 plus volt input.

I've bought a new battery but before I test all the wiring/electrics and install it I'd like your opinion and comments. So, what power converter/charger do have in your Airstream and are you happy with it?

Thanks in advance,

Norm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FreshH2OVent.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	209759   Click image for larger version

Name:	GrayWaterTank.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	209760  

Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am still using the old Univolt and it has not cooked the battery that came with the trailer 2 yrs ago. I have a spare that someone sent me from this forum. I have not done anything with it other than verify it works.

There are 3 tanks on my trailer. The fresh water tank is the most forward and it is under the closet. The other two tanks are farther back. I think the Black tank is the one in the center. You can tell the order of them by looking at the dump valves. They are labeled main and aux. Main is the black and aux is the gray water. I think the holding tanks on mine are about 25 gallons each. The fresh tank is 50 gal. Fixing the dump valves is a little bit of a pain.

Here is a link on the dump valve repair.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...th-109487.html

Perry
Old 04-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Your IntelliPower converter is the way to go. I leave my Airstreams plugged in all year and I rarely need to water the batteries. The old Univolts are very solid units, but they can cook a battery if you don't pay attention--I found I had to check the battery about quarterly to see if it needed water if it was being charged by a Univolt. Besides, after 40 years the electrolytic capacitors are way past their life, so even if the Univolt seems to be operating OK, it's probably putting out badly filtered 12V DC.

As for batteries, I always go to Costco and get their Marine 115 VA battery. It's the lowest cost for the volt-amps that I've found and they hold up well. Although they say deep discharge, they really aren't, but they do have more plate clearance than a standard automotive battery, which gives them a longer life.

When you replace your battery and do other maintenance in the battery/fuse/converter area, don't treat the system like you're going to start a V-8 motor with it. Wire the system like you use it, 40 amps not 400 amps--40 amps is almost never exceeded in an Airstream. The exception is if you have a high power inverter and run things like hair dryers or a microwave through it.
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I'm looking at post #6 and trying to figure out the first photo. I've got a center bath 31' Sovereign and it doesn't look at all like yours. Does that photo really show the fresh tank fill line going through the interior wheel well cover?

Zep
Old 04-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I've had good luck with two Intellipower units, so I'm wondering if the battery that went bad failed by just bad luck or a manufacturing defect of some kind. The first Intellipower unit I had kept a deep cycle battery in good shape, plugged in all the time, for 4 or 5 years - I sold the B190 it was installed in, but the battery was still good when I did. The second one is taking care of three batteries in our trailer as we speak; those are now 2.5 years old or so and still fine.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yep Zep it does go through the wheel well. His looks like mine.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
I'm looking at post #6 and trying to figure out the first photo. I've got a center bath 31' Sovereign and it doesn't look at all like yours. Does that photo really show the fresh tank fill line going through the interior wheel well cover?

Zep
Old 04-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
City , Florida
Thank you for your help Perry and I appreciate the comments of the other posters too. Apropos the dump valves. In the interests of full disclosure the PO had told me that despite frequent attempts he had been unable to open either valve. Interestingly, when I tried I had no trouble whatsoever. I hope I'm not tempting Providence but to me they seem in good shape and have not let a single drop by.

I did replace the air vent overflow fitting and tubing. However, when I tried to push the replacement tube onto the molded plastic tube inside the filler it broke away. I had to make a new one and fit it as best I could to the remains of original. I detest plastic!

On dismantling the pressure regulator I found that the diaphragm was new and the other parts were in good shape. It didn't work because the PO had used it for many months with untreated water from a well with a high tannin, ferrous and organic iron content and it had blocked everything. I soaked it in an iron oxide dissolving solution for a couple of days. I didn't have a socket wrench thin enough to engage the jet so I blew it out with a 150 psi air jet. I've reassemble it all and will install it tomorrow and will let you know how it works. Incidentally, the pump filter was as clean as the day it was installed so it it would seem that the fresh water tank hasn't been used. And yes, the Shurflo pump does work.

I found that the charcoal filter under the sink very difficult to access (for an old guy, I am in my 80s) and it looks as though the filters, if still available, are expensive. So I've done away with it and removed the drinking spigot (two less things to go wrong!) from the sink and covered the hole in the counter top with a metal dome (I'll post a photo later) and underneath the sink now looks much neater.

I have decided to stick with the IntelliPower but to replace the internal bulbs with LEDs and fit a solar panel trickle charger with a digital readout monitor/controller and a battery disconnect.

Thanks to all again.

Norm.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFUser View Post
...I found that the charcoal filter under the sink very difficult to access (for an old guy, I am in my 80s) and it looks as though the filters, if still available, are expensive. So I've done away with it ...
Excellent decision. If you're ever worried about the quality of the water in the fresh tank, just take a few 1-gal bottles of water with you for things like coffee, tea, soup, etc. You don't really need a lot of high quality water.

Zep
Old 04-21-2014, 12:25 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Excellent decision. If you're ever worried about the quality of the water in the fresh tank, just take a few 1-gal bottles of water with you for things like coffee, tea, soup, etc. You don't really need a lot of high quality water.

Zep
It really is surprising how little "high quality water" you really need. I've gone a whole burn without using up two 5 gallon water jugs for drinking. (Ya, that's less than you are supposed to drink a day, I know.)
Perry
that other Perry out west somewhere

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote