Puyallup , Washington
Yes!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
This us also.
NEVER have had a problem or got sick from drinking from our tank and have been doing it for years. That is what it is for and why it is called fresh water tank.If you take good care of it ,it will take good care of you and not make you sick.
Just don't get the fresh water and sewage tanks in the back of your tow vehicle mixed up!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...i-49173-7.html

Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Interesting! 72 replies to this thread so far and not one person has reported getting sick from drinking the water from their trailer tank! Although I'm also guilty of using bottled water (---from my home,) for coffee and cooking, this thread is making me question whether or not it's really necessary. I know that one of the campgrounds we were in a month or so ago in Nova Scotia had a warning about the water supply. I didn't find out about it until I had already been hooked up for a day. All you can do at that point is keep your fingers crossed and flush the lines the next chance you get. After disconnecting I flushed using my on-board supply from home and left the next day.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Interesting! 72 replies to this thread so far and not one person has reported getting sick from drinking the water from their trailer tank!
Maybe they're dead, but I digress.

I didn't count the do and don't drink posts, but my impression is slightly more don't drink from the potable water tank.

We got in the habit of bringing gallons of drinking water from the supermarket years ago when traveling and staying at motels. I recall a cabin near Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia, where the water was slightly salty—the well was obviously getting some sea water in it. Sea water at a port may include sewage and fuel and oil from boats. Then in Newfoundland at a few places the water was kind of yellow—that's not what you think (I hoped)—it's the color of silt during run off season in the spring. Even wells can get a lot of dirt in them in the spring (I used to have a well that did that every year). Friends who traveled to Alaska earlier this year in a conversion van got sick and later discovered the campground got their water from a hose in a creek. One of them is a doctor too.

There was a video on the internet a year or two ago about a TV station that did an expose about how maids in motels and hotels clean those glasses and coffee makers they have in the rooms. This included using a little rinse water only, 409, Windex, and other cleaning things you don't want to drink, then wiping with a used towel. Yummy. Seems best to take care of yourself without going OCD.

Gene
Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I mainly use it for cooking and making coffee. Never really thought otherwise about it. I clean the tank/lines twice a year, and only fill it at home.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I can't wait to get a water heater so i can use my fresh water to take a hot shower. Adios, John
Old 09-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Maybe they're dead, but I digress.

I didn't count the do and don't drink posts, but my impression is slightly more don't drink from the potable water tank.

We got in the habit of bringing gallons of drinking water from the supermarket years ago when traveling and staying at motels. I recall a cabin near Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia, where the water was slightly salty—the well was obviously getting some sea water in it. Sea water at a port may include sewage and fuel and oil from boats. Then in Newfoundland at a few places the water was kind of yellow—that's not what you think (I hoped)—it's the color of silt during run off season in the spring. Even wells can get a lot of dirt in them in the spring (I used to have a well that did that every year). Friends who traveled to Alaska earlier this year in a conversion van got sick and later discovered the campground got their water from a hose in a creek. One of them is a doctor too.

There was a video on the internet a year or two ago about a TV station that did an expose about how maids in motels and hotels clean those glasses and coffee makers they have in the rooms. This included using a little rinse water only, 409, Windex, and other cleaning things you don't want to drink, then wiping with a used towel. Yummy. Seems best to take care of yourself without going OCD.

Gene
Good points. The first demonstrates it is more important where you get the water from than where you put it (in the tank or a 5 gal jug). If you fill your tank before you leave home you are probably good. When it's time to refill, check the source. If the source is questionable, then it may be worth breaking down and buying a jug from the store.

Saw that same video. Never drink from hotel room glasses. Use the disposable travel cups. And always wash the coffeemaker before you use it!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
OK, now I have a new question in this department..
I have the trailer back at home for awhile, I am hooked up to the city water for probably the next several months.
What do you think is best? Leave my fresh water tank filled as it is with fresh water? I did my bleach clean about a month ago.
Or should I drain it all out and leave it dry while I am not using it?
Would it truly dry out since it is capped?
Or would it start a lovely green mold in there with the slightly damp atmosphere?

Carol
Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I'm guessing you don't have winter where you are, so you don't have to worry about freezing. I'd leave it full—keeps seals lubricated and feels like there's less chance of growing something (what did they tell you in nursing school about things like that?—not Airstreams, but potable water), then drain it every month or so, fill it again, maybe flush it once, then after several months, do the bleach thing of you have any doubts. Or, you could use it for showers, etc., while you camp in your driveway. then refill it when it gets low, so you have circulation in the tank. If I'm way out of reality, I'm sure a health care professional will let me know very quickly.

Gene
Old 09-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Winter, what is winter? It's been 103 degrees every single day for the last two and a half weeks and no word of any change coming soon. The air is hot. I am hot. The dogs and cats are hot. The AS has turned into the Silver Sauna. I spend the day trying to water vegetable gardens that are hot. Half the time I hold the sprinkler up over my head until I am drenched, then sit in the shade with my little battery powered spray bottle with a fan on it. Today I put on the big sprinklers in the back yard so my dogs and I could run through them....I no longer care what the neighbors think. Hot, hot, hot....

However, now that I got that off my chest, your ideas are good. Nursing school never addressed anything like this because we use little expensive bottles of sterilized water on everything. That is why all your doctor bills are so high.
This may make me get off my tush and clean out all the junk I have been piling up in the shower that I haven't figured out where to put since my move off the ranch.
Also with this hot weather, I think it would be a good idea to do the bleach clean a little more often. Germs love moist warm heated environments...

Oh Gene, what would I do without you? Always a friendly head to look over my shoulder and keep me out of trouble.........

Carol
Old 09-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Carol, without me you would figure it out yourself. "Winter" is a wonderful season which is some parts of Colorado lasts from 9 to 11.9 months, but not quite so many months where we are living right now. We've only had about 70" of snow the last two winters, about half what we had when we lived in the mountains west of Denver. The other 2 seasons are fall—it can last a couple of months with pleasantly warm days and cool to cold nights. The aspen trees turn to gold and we have our own leaf peepers. Then there is summer which can have high temps of as much as 103˚, though usually not for quite so long as in the mysterious Oak View. Spring is a transitional season that may come and go, sometimes an entire day seems spring like, but followed by a foot of beautiful snow and then a few days later it'll be 80˚, then maybe snow. High temps depend how high you are (that can mean two different things in Colorado and one of them is not how tall you are, but as the Jefferson Airplane [Californians all I think] said "one pill makes you small" and I don't remember the rest), but I mean altitude—and if in Leadville, 75˚ would be summer day. Strangely, because of the intense high altitude sun, the Airstream can get quite hot inside even at 80˚. I hope this digression helps you understand what "winter" and "seasons" are—keeps us on our toes and young (at heart anyway).

I'd suggest you tow the trailer here, daringly drinking your potable water, to sample our seasons, all of which can happen on the same day in the mountains, stay the winter and experience thundersnow, and learn about snow tires, snow brushes, gloves, hats and such, but I'm afraid you'd blow out another transmission, so enjoy your water (much of which comes from Colorado—we pee in it before we sent it downstream).

Gene
Old 09-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Austin , Texas
We use bottled water, but only because I'm too lazy to treat the tank. We live in a rural area with a small 13 member water system. We still must follow state mandated treatment and sanitary rules, that I am familiar with. We treat our water from the well with chlorine bleach (minimum .02 PPM) and it is drinkable. But...chlorine evaporates and is absorbed by other elements, so, you must keep the concentration up to kill all the bacteria. I should periodically, drain the tank, refill, treat with chlorine, etc. to make it safe in the trailer. Refilling gallon bottles at Walmart for a quarter a gallon is cheaper and easier.