Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I've got to add one more thing...

In San Diego, on our voting ballot for the last few elections the city government has tried to push the plan for "Toilet to tap." So if they do,pass the idea, my feeling is what's the difference? Right now they use it to irrigate freeway's and golf courses. Next thing will be hooking the drinking fountains and Airstream fresh water tanks up to the lavender colored pipes. (Gildy, our water commissioner, won't drink it, he prefers San Pelligrino).

OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #58
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
My heavens, my trailer is a 1966 vintage and I have faithfully followed all the cleaning the tank rules, empty often, fill from home usually, have an inline filter and then a Britta at the spout. I drink it, the dogs drink it and so do my two cats. Never had a problem. Plus I was a nurse my whole life, so I pay close attention to calculating the amount of bleach per gallon of my tank, timing in the tank, then rinse and empty multiple times. Works great for me... Otherwise it's wasted space for boondocking, might as well store your wine in it..........

cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member
1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
My hose is a RV approved hose, came in a package for all RV water hook ups etc. The water still tastes like a garden hose. Maybe it's just new. Maybe it's the faucet it's attached to.

I only use the filtered water to cook with and drink.

I did just get a new garden hose though to flush the black water tank. Now that was fun. It took quite a while to have clean running water coming out after I drained the tank first. (I love my see through sewer connection). My guess is the previous owner didn't flush it out very often.
connorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I travel a bit, but primarily stay at one campground in Virginia Beach. The water - in the words of Crocodile Dundee - "tastes like sh**, but it'll keep you alive".

I hitched up and went traveling this weekend and when I undid the hose, i noticed a BIG streak of rust running down the outside of the hose - high iron and calcium content. It's tested regularly by the state for safety, but it's the taste... blech.

I have a Britta pitcher and I haul a couple of gallons of "city water" to the trailer and use it, filtered for cooking and drinking. For me it's taste not fear of bacteria. I did get Montazuma's revenge in Mexico once so I know what bad water can do to ruin a vacation. I'm not germaphobic, but I don't like the thought of having to let bad diarrhea "run it's course" for a week! When I'm going somewhere to have FUN I want to feel well enough to HAVE it.

I admit it may be overcautious, but man, it's no fun being afraid to be more than five feet from the throne.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
What does water taste like.

Hi, to me water is tasteless, if my memory serves me right. I don't drink water, NEVER. Fish go potty in water. Fish have sex in water. YUK. I sanitize my fresh water tank about twice a year. The only water that I get in my mouth, for a very short time, is when brushing my teeth. We bring bottled water for cooking and coffee. We use everything in our trailer for it's intended use; My trailer did not come with a drinking fountain. My wife will drink water, straight/bottled, but I won't touch the stuff. I was a cola-holic many years ago. [Coke, Pepsi, Royal Crown] Now I drink coffee, iced tea, orange juice, apple juice, and Hansen's fruit smoothies. I bleach my tank, have the nice white hoses, and even a water filter that I have not used yet. [the filter] At home or camp ground I hook up my white hose, turn on the water, and let it flow before connecting it to my trailer; Just to flush it out and not get dirt into my system. When done with my hoses, I hold them up to drain all the water out of them, roll them up and connect the ends so nothing can get in them.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #62

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

I admit it may be overcautious, but man, it's no fun being afraid to be more than five feet from the throne.

In a Caravel, you're never more than 5 feet from the throne

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:13 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member
2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
I drink the tank water. No problems. Sanitize the tank twice a year or so. Don't use any filters. that might be a good preventative measure but if I'm filling from potable water source its the same as drinking from the tap, which I always do.

Used to use a 5 gal jug for drinking water but that took up too much counter space. Try to never buy bottled water unless I have no choice.
JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #64
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have no trouble drinking the water out of the trailer tank, just follow the rules for sanitizing it.
It's better than what I typically get out of my cistern at my house. With my cistern we just wait for the water to taste a little iffy or after we have had a good rain and throw a cup of bleach into it. A day or two later everything is good. It good to expose your body to a few bugs once in awhile.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member
2000 28' Excella
Stewartstown , Pennsylvania

I sanitize my fresh water tank as much or more than most folks. I use an inline water filter for city water and have a filter for drinking water under the sink. I still use only water from home or water from a reverse osmosis source. It is not the bugs in the water that you are used to that make you sick it is the microbes from a new area that your body has not become immune that make you sick. A small reverse osmosis system would be nice to have. Does anyone make one that is sized for an Airstream?
frlcad5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member
1972 23' Safari
1976 24' Argosy 24
Bonita , California
We are on our 5th vintage Airstream in the last 15 years, cleaned all the tanks and drank the water. Use an inline filter at campsites , change every christmas, and the hose at home, no problems or issues. We also worked in Mexico and bought food from street venders in Kenya and Egypt, so maybe we are immune.
Bonitafarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #67
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
We normally don't drink the water from the fresh tank. We can,its the same water we carry on board. We sanitize the fresh tank twice a yr. Our water is from our own well, 80 ft deep well. I add bleach at the prescribed rate.Smells but its safe to drink. We usually travel with a full tank,plus a 2 gallon tote in the fridge and 5 gallon in OJ 1gallon plastic jugs for the dogs.
We have never been sick from drinking our water. Normally we don't hook to any outside sources. Usually what we carry lasts us a week or more.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #68

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
At the most we only may use the fresh water tank twice a year. On those occasions we sanitize the tank prior to use. With a couple of flushes afterwards we can get the water good enough to drink. I fill up with city water prior to departure and with it's normal chlorine load that the water company provides, the tank is quite safe and good to use by the time we get to our destination.

I follow the sanitizing instructions that are in the Airstream manual which puts me at one cup of bleach to the 60 gallons that our fresh water tank holds. You can increase the amount of bleach to reduce the amount of time that the mixture has to sit in the tank. The problem I have is that doing that increases the amount of flushing I need to do to remove the taste out of the water. If I remember correctly the sit time for the bleach water mixture is about 4 hours.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #69
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We were leery of drinking from ours at first, then took the plunge and have had no problems these last 2 years. We do the sanitize with bleach thing, also faithfully use our WalMart filter whenever we hook up, which really does neutralize the various tastes from various areas.
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Originally Posted by wayner61 View Post
I sanitize twice a year or anytime I get a load of water that doesn't taste good to me. I try to keep the tank pretty full between camping trips. I always use an in-line filter to fill the tank.

All that said, I don't have any problems at all drinking the water. The only time I don't is when we are in a situation where we need to fill the tank with water that doesn't taste good to me. Many areas of the country have water with high mineral or iron content and it just doesn't taste like "water" to me.

Who am I to judge though... I routinely drink tap water at home and have even been known to take a drink from the hose if I am out working in the yard ;-)
This us also.
NEVER have had a problem or got sick from drinking from our tank and have been doing it for years. That is what it is for and why it is called fresh water tank.If you take good care of it ,it will take good care of you and not make you sick.

Jimmini :
AKA : TUMBLEWEED. Just an old buzzard with a itch to yonder.
Man has only those rights he can defend
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote