Old 09-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Here is what changed my mind about bottled water

I use to freeze gallon containers of water to jump start the fridge or keep food cold, when it thawed I would have real cold water to enjoy. I have learned that freezing water in plastic containers is a big no no. Freezing makes the plastic leach all kinds of chemicals. Sheryl Crow, the singer, claims that she developed cancer from drinking water that she kept in her car. The bottles also leach chemicals when they get hot in a car. There are some new hi-tech reusable containers out now that are supposed to be safe. Tell the Airstream Corporate Suits that they should start using stainless steel fresh water tanks.
Microwaving food in plastic is also reported to be unhealthy Dave

Old 09-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
wasn't there something that you take more bad stuff in by taking a shower than drinking the water ?

so yes i drink it (with a pur faucet filter), cook, shower and use my trailer to the fullest except pooop, because i don't want to deal with my own (or co-travelers) sh....t

Old 09-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
The way to get the bleachy taste out of the water tank after sanitizing is:
#1: use baking soda, approx. half cup dissolved in water for each 15 gal. or so of tank. I partially fill the tank, add the soda mixed with water, then fill the tank the rest of the way, run through all the faucets, and leave for 2 - 3 days. Then drain, rinse the tank a little, and you're all set

#2: use white vinegar, a quart for every 10 gal. I used 2 gal. in our SOB tank that's 30gal. (I think). After bleach has worked and drained, add vinegar to tank, fill the rest of the way with water, run through all the faucets and leave for 12 - 24 hours. Then drain, and you're ready to rock and roll.

My son tried the vinegar first, and said the water tastes the best it ever has in his trailer. I tried it because I goofed and used bleach that has that flowery smell instead of plain bleach this year. WRONG! DON"T DO THAT!!!!! After 3 run throughs with the baking soda, water still tasted yucky ( flowery water does NOT taste good!). One round with the vinegar and our problem was solved!
We do this every spring and have never had a problem with our water tasting bad, or getting sick from the water.

Kay
Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
has anyone done a colonoscopy of their fresh water tank?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by frlcad5 View Post
We never use the fresh water from our tank or water away from home for drinking or cooking. Not even for our dog. We wash and use it in the toilet only. We fill four or five fresh water gallon jugs before we leave home and put them on the floor of the shower where they will cause no harm if they should spill. As they become empty we make a "NECESSARY" trip to WalMart where they have a reverse osmosis water machine. The water is inexpensive and gives us pease of mind. I have gotten sick from water away from home and it won't happen again.
I am curious to know how filling a sanitized fresh water tank is less safe than filling a gallon jug. They both use the same water and if both are sanitized, it should make no difference. If done properly, the water lines in your trailer are all sanitized as well when you sanitize the tank. As for my dog...well, he drinks out of the toilet at home if i turn my back!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I think it's a hoot how some don't use their AS systems the way they were intended to be used. If we use common sense, use the systems properly, and maintain them properly....they are all very safe, reliable and relatively trouble free. But to each his own!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Water???? Drink water?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
I use bleach in the tank and lines. BUT I don't drink the stuff. I don't give it to the dog, he gets the poops quicker these days, no need in helping that probelm along. Jugs of water go in the trailer to drink. . .
Water??? People drink water???? I thought that was what beer was for.

Actually during happy hour today I was contemplating adding a fourth water tank to our trailer. . . in addition to black water, gray water, and fresh water tanks, it would be nice to have a tonic water tank. . .
Old 09-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #50

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
I think it's a hoot how some don't use their AS systems the way they were intended to be used. If we use common sense, use the systems properly, and maintain them properly....they are all very safe, reliable and relatively trouble free. But to each his own!
I have run into campers who have told me that they NEVER use their RV toilets for any solid waste. Go figure, but I guess, to each his own.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #51

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Add me to the list of people who are amazed to discover other 'streamers DON'T use their facilities! We use everything in our trailer, but if there's a camp shower available, and it's nice, we'll use that to avoid having to dry the wet-bath when we're done with it (uses an extra towel).

We bought our trailer from a couple who used it a lot and took excellent care of it. We learned to sanitize the tank, and we fill it before we leave home. I empty it between trips so the tank can sit dry. Fill it back up before we leave again. I usually only sanitize it once a year, in the spring when de-winterizing.

When I replaced the floor in front I had the tank out and got a good look at it - there was nothing nasty or scary looking about it - just a big plastic tank. I think I take more of a risk towing my trailer to a campground than I do drinking out of the fresh water tank!

I love our little fully-contained home, and using ALL it's features!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
My incoming water tastes like the garden hose it has just come through. Very nasty. Only drink the water from the filter on the kitchen sink. Only cook with that water too. Coffee made from the hose water taste like you made if from hose water!

Cheers.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #53
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by connorsa View Post
My incoming water tastes like the garden hose it has just come through. Very nasty. Only drink the water from the filter on the kitchen sink. Only cook with that water too. Coffee made from the hose water taste like you made if from hose water!

Cheers.
Are you using a garden hose or a hose made for RV water? There is a difference.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Ditto...garden hoses should not be used for drinking or cooking water. Use a hose specially made for RV water...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Denver , Colorado
Note: There has been some mention of people drinking distilled water. Use distilled water in your steam iron or car battery, but refrain from drinking it. I'm of the opinion that distilled water, since all or most of the minerals/contaminants have been "distilled" out, will leech minerals from your bones and body. Wikipedia gives both sides to this question. Me, I drink from my both my AS's sanitized (bleach) fresh-water tank and sanitized milk containers we fill at home. I've had no problems traceable to the water. Nevertheless, I plan to continue using in-line filtration and to install an under-sink filter. If you want a look at your fresh-water tank, slide the belly pan forward and support the tank in some way so it won't plop down on whomever you get to slide the belly pan forward. My son has been the "volunteer" in this endeavor.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #56

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Ditto...garden hoses should not be used for drinking or cooking water. Use a hose specially made for RV water...
And keep it clean and separate from your sewage hoses

I also give the hose the same bleach treatment as the tank in the spring. After using the hose we empty it out and fasten the ends together to keep it clean, and store it in a clean place. Never let the ends touch the ground. We get new hoses when the old ones start looking worn.

Our water definitely does not taste like hose-water

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote