I have a 1964 Safari

Old 06-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by achip
I have a 1964 Safari
Your tank is vented by a tube that is plumbed into the top of the water tank.

Could be plastic or copper.

Andy

Old 06-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Scottsdale , Arizona
Andy,

My tanks were removed by PO, so I have no idea what was there. I want to install a small plactic type tank. On your web site I saw a filler cap for a 1965 AS that has an air breather formed into it. Your cap is a female, my existing cap is a 2" ABS male. Would your cap work with an adapter? and allow proper air supply? When the trailor is not in use I assume all supply lines need tobe drained. If a small amount of water remains in the fresh tank is that a bad thing? (I assume the pump will not suck the water tank dry) Or do I need to install a drain in the bottom of the fresh water tank? (hoping I don't)

Thank You
Chip
Old 06-24-2006, 02:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by achip
Andy,

......Or do I need to install a drain in the bottom of the fresh water tank? (hoping I don't)

Thank You
Chip
Definitely need to be able to drain the tank. Why? 1) drain the weight 2) keep it fresh 3) flushing/cleaning 4) winterizing 5) etc.

Picture this - you leave it sitting for quite some time without use. Summer: you will soon be growing your own algae farm. Winter: the large ice cube will expand beyond the limits of the tank, rupturing it. Spring: the ruptured ice cube melts all over the inside or your refurbished trailer.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Scottsdale , Arizona
Great Pumkin,

I understand that the tanks need to be empty. After all the water has been pumped out I expect there is a small amount of water the pump has left behind. Is that small amount of water a serious problem.

Thanks
Chip
Old 06-24-2006, 05:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Scottsdale does not get that cold. You may be able to do without anitifreeze. If you are worried, pour in a small amount in December and fill and purge the tank with fresh water in the spring. You should sanitize your tank at least once a year with bleach anyway.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
I guess I didn't pay attention to your profile to see you are in Scottsdale, AZ
dwightdi is probably right - I doubt you'll have to worry about freezing (although I did hit a whiteout, blinding snowstorm in Northern AZ once)

But even the small amount left in the tank could grow algae, depending on the conditions - I'd say you've got the right conditions for that (heat). Sanitizing the tank should help with that. Some even use a little bleach in the water throughout the season - do a search of the forum and you'll find directions on how to do that safely.

Do you know where Arivaca is? (They sell t-shirts that say you know you're lost if you find Arivaca ) I've got relatives there and Tuscon. Used to drive down every year from Oregon when I was a kid.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:15 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Scottsdale , Arizona
I spent a week in Arivaca one day. Dad and I had many hunting trips in the area. Patagonia, tombstone, bisbee, douglas a few of my favorite spot.

Thanks for the advice

See ya on the road
chip
Old 06-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
I replaced the original fresh water tank in my 64 Safari. It’s under the gaucho bed.

The original was nonpressurized and had a vent line on the top of the tank. The vent outlet runs to a T with a drain valve on one side, pump line on the other.

The fill plug is 2” metal screw in cap, looks like bung plug from a 50 gallon drum.

I replaced the tank (no telling WHAT had been growing in there for 40 years) with a new 40-gallon tank from original tank manufacturer. I can find the purchase info if you want it.

I drain it and rinse it after EVERY road trip so that no water is left standing in it except perhaps the small residual that doesn’t drain. I occasionally run fresh water through it if it sits for very long.

I know about bio-growth and about freezing water damage!

It’s called a fresh water tank for a reason.
Safari 64
Old 06-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Scottsdale , Arizona
Safari 64,
PO gutted gaucho bed, table area & water tank so i have no idea what was there or how it hook up. Where is your pump & switch located? And yes i could use info on water tank.

Chip
Old 06-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Hi Chip,
My water pump is located in the rear of the trailer, inside the “one stop service center” panel and to the left of the toilet. I replaced the original pump with a new (quiet) Shurflo pump. The pump switch is a simple toggle switch located on the bathroom cabinet wall (next to toilet seat). There are 2 switches there, one for water pump, one for bath exhaust fan.

The water tank fits under the gaucho bed frame slides.
I removed the original just “because” I like FRESH water.
The new one was slightly different shape but fits nice. I made new hold down brackets.
Water intake is on street side.
Vent line on top of tank.
Water outlet to rear.

I filled the new tank 5 gallons at a time, marking water level each 5 gals, making water sight gauge.

I also made carry brackets for 3 new style GI plastic water cans under the gaucho. That gives me 55 gallons fresh water on board.

There are several tank retailers on the web. One had a tank size calculator I used.

I’m not home now and without Airstream.
Busy catching and GPS collaring bears.
I’ll find the purchase info when I get home this weekend.

I can take a few photos of my gaucho/tank setup if that helps. As far as I know it’s original 1964. I have side gaucho and front dinette. Refrigerator cabinet is at front end of gaucho.

Safari64