Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Assuming the water source isn't black like what's coming out of the hose ....

Let your jar of water sit for a day or two. Does the black stuff settle out? If so, take a look at it. Charcoal is soft when wet. Most sediment is a bit gritty. Working out what it is should help track things down. If it does not settle at all, that suggests it's neither of the two ( = even more useful information).

Best guess from looking at it - you have a charcoal filter inline somewhere. The poor thing finally died and you are simply flushing out the contents of the filter. Maybe it died a while ago and the contents are sitting in the lines.

Regardless of the source, the solution is still the same, get to someplace with a water source and a sewer. Turn on the water and let it run. If that takes days, so be it. Once done, sanitize.

Tracking things down wise - does the toilet still run black when you flush it? If not, that's a clue. If I was putting a charcoal filter inline, I would not put it in the line to the toilet. Same basic question about the shower (and outside shower if you have one). If they aren't running black that's a clue as well.

On another possible rabbit hole to go down: When you did the sanitize process, how much bleach did you use and what kind of bleach? It seems like this all came up when you started the flush process and gets worse as you do it again ....

If the problem is identical with city water and with water from the fresh water tank, that should rule out your water pump. In a normal setup, it's only used when you are on the fresh water tank ( = turned off otherwise).

There's not any particular order to any of this ... sorry about that

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
That black in the water in post #13 looks like fine charcoal/carbon from a deteriorating filter.

Your 1991 29' might have a whole system filter (optional when new). It is located in the roadside wardrobe. Lift the bottom and you should see it if one was installed. All of the bleaching you have done has probably damaged the filter further.

You can get a new filter cartridge at any hardware or big box building supply.

There are instructions in your Owners Manual on page F-18.
If you do not have a manual, you can download one here.
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...0110i.arc_.pdf
Old 10-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
That black in the water in post #13 looks like fine charcoal/carbon from a deteriorating filter.

Your 1991 29' might have a whole system filter (optional when new). It is located in the roadside wardrobe. Lift the bottom and you should see it if one was installed. All of the bleaching you have done has probably damaged the filter further.

Bingo!

[See PDF p. 97/266]

Alan and Bob just got it IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
. . .
Best guess from looking at it - you have a charcoal filter inline somewhere. The poor thing finally died and you are simply flushing out the contents of the filter. Maybe it died a while ago and the contents are sitting in the lines.
. . .
Dickandvicki does this owner's manual match yours?

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Yep, charcoal filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Can you say if the problem started after .................. fill in the blank.
Quote:
Hi

Assuming the water source isn't black like what's coming out of the hose ....

Let your jar of water sit for a day or two. Does the black stuff settle out? If so, take a look at it. Charcoal is soft when wet. Most sediment is a bit gritty. Working out what it is should help track things down. If it does not settle at all, that suggests it's neither of the two ( = even more useful information).

Regardless of the source, the solution is still the same, get to someplace with a water source and a sewer. Turn on the water and let it run. If that takes days, so be it. Once done, sanitize.

Tracking things down wise - does the toilet still run black when you flush it? If not, that's a clue. If I was putting a charcoal filter inline, I would not put it in the line to the toilet. Same basic question about the shower (and outside shower if you have one). If they aren't running black that's a clue as well.

On another possible rabbit hole to go down: When you did the sanitize process, how much bleach did you use and what kind of bleach? It seems like this all came up when you started the flush process and gets worse as you do it again ....

If the problem is identical with city water and with water from the fresh water tank, that should rule out your water pump. In a normal setup, it's only used when you are on the fresh water tank ( = turned off otherwise).

There's not any particular order to any of this ... sorry about that

Bob

It’s a 29 year old system filter When we were looking in the bottom of the wardrobe yesterday there was item that we didn’t know what it was. Looked like a small upside down jelly jar with a little screen inside. Sure enough it’s a filter. The little charcoal that remained is lodged in our water lines. Phew, I’m so relieved! I felt like I was living in the twilight zone I spoke with the mothership and they confirmed that it is in fact a filter.

FYI-water is coming out grey/black everywhere, even the toilet. I did find some sediment in the faucet strainer and it is soft black and now I know charcoal.

Thank you so very much for your help during this trying time
Dickandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post

You are exactly right! It’s a filter and thats our owners manual! Thank you a million! My owners manual is at home and this is great to have while traveling! I didn’t recognize my empty filter as a filter. It sure doesn’t look like what I would expect.

Now, I guess we flush, flush, flush and wait. At least I feel comfortable washing dishes and feel pretty confident we done have anything growing in the waterlines

Thank you so very much!
Old 10-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The good news is that you can ingest a lot of charcoal and still be ok

Pretty much everyplace you have a strainer will need to be popped open and cleaned. A compressor to blow everything out might get things taken care of quicker than running water.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickandvicki View Post
. . .
Now, I guess we flush, flush, flush and wait.
. . .
Wondering if this cleared up, or were there complications maybe?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 10-08-2018, 06:07 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks!

Quote:
Hi

Pretty much everyplace you have a strainer will need to be popped open and cleaned. A compressor to blow everything out might get things taken care of quicker than running water.

Bob
What a good idea, blowing the lines out with a compressor. We’ll do that when we get home from our trip. I just feel so relieved that my water problem is being caused by charcoal and not something more sinister

The support of this group really helped..
A lot
Old 10-08-2018, 06:20 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Much, much better..

Quote:
Hi

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Wondering if this cleared up, or were there complications maybe?

Thanks,

Peter
The water is only slightly discolored after setting unused (like over night). We just run the water for a minute and it clears up crystal clear. When we return home from our trip, we’ll run an air compressor on the lines and see if we can get any remaining charcoal blown out

Thank you so much for your help and support. I was totally freaking out with black water running from my taps

Vickie
Old 10-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great news, thanks!

Peter
Old 10-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud