Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Hello all. I'm in the process of replacing the rear bathroom floor on my 69 ambassador and will be adding new holding tanks and 12 vlt pump. I've read and head Colin on the VAP talk about setting up the fresh water system so it ties into city water inlet. That way every time you hook up it fills you fresh water holding tank. I've been trying to figure out how to tie the systems together to make it work. I'm hoping to get some ideas and feed back on how to do it. I have attached a diagram of what i think might work. To fill the tank you would have to open one of the taps to let the air out, possibly the bathroom sink since it would be close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2208699525.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	163502  
Old 07-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It's a matter of installing a bypass around the pump. Since the pump has a check valve to prevent water from flowing back thru the pump. The bypass valve should be in a convenient location since you will need to close it once the FW tank is full.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
How would the air line be set up in that fashon?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Your fresh water tank should already have a vent line so you would not need another one.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Yea don't have one, nor a pump. I'm having to start from scratch.. 3 new holding tanks, new rear floor, fire damage repair..
Old 07-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
OK, well I believe you will need 1 mine has a small opening next to the fill cap for the vent line that stays open letting air out when filling and in when using/emptying. Opening a faucet wont let any air out of the freshwater tank, if it does that is the only thing the faucet would be good for.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Rosemere , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
It's a matter of installing a bypass around the pump. Since the pump has a check valve to prevent water from flowing back thru the pump. The bypass valve should be in a convenient location since you will need to close it once the FW tank is full.
My Pumps (I have had it changed 4 times) constantly let city water back into fresh water tank I have a blue water filter outside or when I fill the tank. Don't know what to do anymore !!
Projet2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projet2907 View Post
My Pumps (I have had it changed 4 times) constantly let city water back into fresh water tank I have a blue water filter outside or when I fill the tank. Don't know what to do anymore !!
If the pump is easy to get to. Install either a manual shut off valve or a check valve in the discharge line of the pump.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote