Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Belgrade , Montana
De-winterizing

Well, the time is just about here to fire up the old AS and start camping again. This will be our first real use of the shiney bubble since we bought it just before winter. I winterized it myself and wonder what I should look for when we turn the water on the first time. Are there any common leak points I should watch for? If I did the winterization wrong, what is most likely to fail?
'72 International Overlander - 27' of happiness
WBICC #4453
Member-at-Large cause I don't know any better
snpotratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpotratz
Well, the time is just about here to fire up the old AS and start camping again. This will be our first real use of the shiney bubble since we bought it just before winter. I winterized it myself and wonder what I should look for when we turn the water on the first time. Are there any common leak points I should watch for? If I did the winterization wrong, what is most likely to fail?
Steve,
The pipes in the hardest place to reach Murphy's Law All you can do is bring the pressure up slowly and watch and listen for leaks, I have to do it every year and some years I win and there are no leaks and other years Murphy strikes and I get a leak. This is especially true of the older trailers with original plumbing in them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Put a few gallons in your fresh tank. Flush all the air out of the lines and then leave the pump on with all the fixtures off. If you have any occult leaks, the pump will cycle to restore the lost pressure caused by the escaping water. If you go 30-40 min without the pump kicking in you are probally ok.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
De-winterizing my rig can be fun. Each fall I pump the lines full of the cheapest vodka I can get. In the spring I suppose one could drink it right out of the faucet, but I don't. Oh yeah, there's those folks that will say it will weaken all the pipe joints. Ten years and not a leak yet.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
This will by my first time de-winterizing as well. I used compressed air on a low setting, also blowing out the hot water heater as best I could. Then I bypassed it, and pumped antifreeze through the system using the pump.
I'll be going back through the winterizing thread to try to not miss anything. I do have the original plumbing, so I'm hoping for the best. The old excella spent it's life in the dessert of NM before I brought her up here to the mountains, and it has been a very cold sub 0 winter. We have a huge summer planned for camping. I'm taking it down to Denver to have a rock guard installed on April the 12th, so I'll wait until then to de-winterize.
Wish me luck.

Wahoonc: Do you have any pics posted of your excella 2? I don't think I've ever seen a pic of another, and I'm not sure if there are any differences between the excella, and excella 2.

Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
any common leak points I should watch for?
toilet hand sprayer.

been there, got sprayed by that! luckily they are inexpensive.

also another common failure is the moen faucet cartriges. i went through a number of them until i got my act together and used air and antifreeze.

john
Old 03-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Pipes, tanks, etc. Mainly pipes though......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized

Wahoonc: Do you have any pics posted of your excella 2? I don't think I've ever seen a pic of another, and I'm not sure if there are any differences between the excella, and excella 2.

Charlie
Charlie,
I think there are a couple...try here these are pictures the PO took. I need to get mine updated I don't think there is much difference between an Excella and an Excella II other than possibly model years.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote