Old 07-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Cpvc

Has anyone used it in an AS? Just curious...lighter than copper,cheaper than PEX...much easier to install than either. If you have tried it in your TT,please let me know the ups and downs.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampthang7 View Post
Has anyone used it in an AS? Just curious...lighter than copper,cheaper than PEX...much easier to install than either. If you have tried it in your TT,please let me know the ups and downs.
I use it all the time. Fittings are .50c, pipe $4 for 10' and it bends and stays to any curve with a heat gun. Adapts to any other lines or taps easily. Can't find any downs with it but I'm sure others will speak up now.

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The only downside is that you need special adhesives to hold it together, due to the high chlorine content of the plastic. The cement is available at Home Depot, though, so no big deal.

According to the material safety data sheet (MSDS) for the cement, you should avoid breathing the cement vapors (which smell like ether and will cause nausea, dizziness, etc.) and avoid skin and eye contact; wear gloves and goggles when using the cement.

But as long as you're careful with the cement, cpvc is great stuff.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I use the stuff all the time and am converting my copper pipe in the house to CPVC. The copper corroded and has pin holes in it in less than 20 yrs. It is cheaper and it works fine. I don't know why I drank the PEX coolaid because the stuff is a pain to use. PEX will offer better resistance to freezing than CPVC or PVC.

Perry
Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
My 61 was done in CPVC by a previous owner. I have stayed with it and have had no problems in 10 years. I carry some fittings and a short piece of pipe just in case, but have never needed them.
If you has a problem on the road everything you need is easily available
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
From reading the posts over the years on this issue, pecks is used do to freezing issues. Cpvc does not freeze well, but pecks expands and contracts. With that said, I live in a area that does not have many hard freezes, so I went with Cpvc.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The only downside is that you need special adhesives to hold it together, due to the high chlorine content of the plastic. The cement is available at Home Depot, though, so no big deal.

According to the material safety data sheet (MSDS) for the cement, you should avoid breathing the cement vapors (which smell like ether and will cause nausea, dizziness, etc.) and avoid skin and eye contact; wear gloves and goggles when using the cement.

But as long as you're careful with the cement, cpvc is great stuff.
Darn...no wonder I've developed a serious head twitch...LOL! Thank you sir,but I've been running copper,PVC,ABS,CPVC and a few other plumbing supplies ever since the cast iron and okum went out. Well aware of the fumes. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I use the stuff all the time and am converting my copper pipe in the house to CPVC. The copper corroded and has pin holes in it in less than 20 yrs. It is cheaper and it works fine. I don't know why I drank the PEX coolaid because the stuff is a pain to use. PEX will offer better resistance to freezing than CPVC or PVC.

Perry
We had some frost 14 years ago here on the west coast of florida....looks like a cold winter coming...for dem darn yankees...!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:

We had some frost 14 years ago here on the west coast of florida....looks like a cold winter coming...for dem darn yankees...!
Yea they bring it down with them in their SOBs!!! Not our Airsteam brothers and sisters of course. 😘
Old 07-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Darn...no wonder I've developed a serious head twitch...LOL! Thank you sir,but I've been running copper,PVC,ABS,CPVC and a few other plumbing supplies ever since the cast iron and okum went out. Well aware of the fumes. Thanks for your input.
That's the problem with posting to a forum; you can't always know the experience base you're dealing with, and a warning meant for the general public ends up "preaching to the choir" when the reader is a professional. No offense meant.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote