Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 53
Cpvc

Has anyone used it in an AS? Just curious...lighter than copper,cheaper than PEX...much easier to install than either. If you have tried it in your TT,please let me know the ups and downs.
__________________

__________________
swampthang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Shacksman's Avatar
 
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampthang7 View Post
Has anyone used it in an AS? Just curious...lighter than copper,cheaper than PEX...much easier to install than either. If you have tried it in your TT,please let me know the ups and downs.
I use it all the time. Fittings are .50c, pipe $4 for 10' and it bends and stays to any curve with a heat gun. Adapts to any other lines or taps easily. Can't find any downs with it but I'm sure others will speak up now.
__________________

__________________
Doug & Terry
VAC - TAC ON-1
60 Ambassador Int.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,300
The only downside is that you need special adhesives to hold it together, due to the high chlorine content of the plastic. The cement is available at Home Depot, though, so no big deal.

According to the material safety data sheet (MSDS) for the cement, you should avoid breathing the cement vapors (which smell like ether and will cause nausea, dizziness, etc.) and avoid skin and eye contact; wear gloves and goggles when using the cement.

But as long as you're careful with the cement, cpvc is great stuff.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
I use the stuff all the time and am converting my copper pipe in the house to CPVC. The copper corroded and has pin holes in it in less than 20 yrs. It is cheaper and it works fine. I don't know why I drank the PEX coolaid because the stuff is a pain to use. PEX will offer better resistance to freezing than CPVC or PVC.

Perry
__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
RickDavis's Avatar

 
1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,781
My 61 was done in CPVC by a previous owner. I have stayed with it and have had no problems in 10 years. I carry some fittings and a short piece of pipe just in case, but have never needed them.
If you has a problem on the road everything you need is easily available
__________________
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Silverflames's Avatar

 
1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,262
From reading the posts over the years on this issue, pecks is used do to freezing issues. Cpvc does not freeze well, but pecks expands and contracts. With that said, I live in a area that does not have many hard freezes, so I went with Cpvc.
__________________
Not all those who wonder are lost.
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 53
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The only downside is that you need special adhesives to hold it together, due to the high chlorine content of the plastic. The cement is available at Home Depot, though, so no big deal.

According to the material safety data sheet (MSDS) for the cement, you should avoid breathing the cement vapors (which smell like ether and will cause nausea, dizziness, etc.) and avoid skin and eye contact; wear gloves and goggles when using the cement.

But as long as you're careful with the cement, cpvc is great stuff.
Darn...no wonder I've developed a serious head twitch...LOL! Thank you sir,but I've been running copper,PVC,ABS,CPVC and a few other plumbing supplies ever since the cast iron and okum went out. Well aware of the fumes. Thanks for your input.
__________________
swampthang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I use the stuff all the time and am converting my copper pipe in the house to CPVC. The copper corroded and has pin holes in it in less than 20 yrs. It is cheaper and it works fine. I don't know why I drank the PEX coolaid because the stuff is a pain to use. PEX will offer better resistance to freezing than CPVC or PVC.

Perry
We had some frost 14 years ago here on the west coast of florida....looks like a cold winter coming...for dem darn yankees...!
__________________
swampthang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Silverflames's Avatar

 
1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampthang7 View Post

We had some frost 14 years ago here on the west coast of florida....looks like a cold winter coming...for dem darn yankees...!
Yea they bring it down with them in their SOBs!!! Not our Airsteam brothers and sisters of course. 😘
__________________
Not all those who wonder are lost.
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampthang7 View Post
Darn...no wonder I've developed a serious head twitch...LOL! Thank you sir,but I've been running copper,PVC,ABS,CPVC and a few other plumbing supplies ever since the cast iron and okum went out. Well aware of the fumes. Thanks for your input.
That's the problem with posting to a forum; you can't always know the experience base you're dealing with, and a warning meant for the general public ends up "preaching to the choir" when the reader is a professional. No offense meant.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.