Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Bozeman , Montana
City water supply

I have a "65 Tradewind. I had some minor work done to it including a new inlet valve "hose thread". I hooked it up to city water and no flow. I know there is a small ball valve at the inlet and that appears to be free and functioning. Water pressure is good. I disconnected the first interior connection and there is good flow when I turn on the city water. I am using the kitchen sink to test and there are no valves that are closed. I can see all the tubing by the way. My fresh water tank runs fine throughout the whole system. Thought "airlock" but not after using the freshwater tank. Any thoughts? I hope this isn't a total "duh" experience, but I don't know what else to check.
curlyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The only thing in the line that could be a problem that I know of is a check valve. If you "had" the work done, I would suggest taking it back where you had it done.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
no water

the check valve could be installed backwards!! the service guy where I bought my new S.O.B. said this happens alot! joe in MN
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqin View Post
the check valve could be installed backwards!! the service guy where I bought my new S.O.B. said this happens alot! joe in MN
I don't think the threads would let that happen, but if it did, water would come out of the inlet when you have the pump on with no hose attached to the inlet. I think.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Bozeman , Montana
City water

Thanks guys, I'll check and see if the check valve was installed backwards. I think I had the hose still attached when I was running off the tank, so I wouldn't have seen water coming out the exterior fitting. Still perplexing in that when I disconnected the first section of tubing (inside), hung it out the window, and turned on city water, it flowed like a champ. This would suggest that its farther down the line. Cant imagine something clogging it to a point where I wouldn't get any water??? All the tubing is pex and less than 2 years old.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi curlyoak. Welcome to Air Forums. I like meeting folks with old Trade Winds. I think it's a nice size travel trailer.

I have a 66 Trade Wind similar to yours except for the curve glass windows. I replumbed my Trade Wind with PEX. New style RV city water inlets come with a pressure reducing valve and check valve built in. The original system in my trailer had the owner fish the city water hose through a 3" port in the belly pan and then crawl under the trailer to get a hold of it. Your trailer has been replumbed.

If your check valve is a separate component, it might be in backwards. There is usually an arrow depicting the direction of flow through the check valve. The purpose of the check valve it to prevent the 12v pump from flowing water out the city water connection. Likewise, the plumbing needs to block city water flow to the fresh water tank. Our old Trade Winds may have come from the factory with a valve in the front street side area close to the fresh water tank where the owner could open it, and fill the fresh water tank from the city water connection.

I elected to prevent flow to the fresh water tank with a check valve down stream of the 12v pump. I have since learned that the 12v pump acts like a check valve preventing city water pressure and flow from getting through to the fresh water tank. My 86 Limited is built this way.

Here is a photo of my re-located city water connection point as well as "shore power" plug.

So if you disconnect the city water hose, turn on the 12v pump, and water flows out the city water connection, then you know the check valve must have been installed backwards.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406 Shore Power Panel.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	238254  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Don't forget to remove and check the aerators at each faucet. They will get clogged with debris and restrict flow.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
My 64 had a similar problem when I first got it. Turned out to be a bad pressure regulator. I eliminated it and put one on the water hose instead.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Bozeman , Montana
Ok. Spent a few more hours on it today. I again ruled out the new check valve. With a strong light, I could see the ball and it had spring tension pushing in the right direction. Next I disconnected the first coupling inside the trailer and ran water through the city water inlet. Worked fine. i followed this with running the fresh water tank and pump. The ball valve functioned fine. No leaking out of this valve. This obviously wasn't the problem.
Next, I got my compressor out and disconnected the cold water supply at the sink. I put an envelope over the end closest to the city water (also disconnected) and it blew it off. Conversely when I forced air in from the city water end towards the sink, no air would go through.
Soooo, it appears that something is "ball valving" between the city water and the sink. Do you think I should take all the brass tee's apart between the city water and the sink?
BambiTex talked about a pressure regulator. Not sure where that is or what it looks like.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Take a look at this thread, and the eventual resolution: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...er-134401.html
Old 05-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Bozeman , Montana
Hi Steve, Hope i'm not on the same class at that guy? I read the thread and resolution. As mentioned, The freshwater tank and pump work fine. Water at all points in the trailer. No water anywhere while hooked up to city. I guess I'm missing the commonality of that thread. There are no shut off valves between the city water and the sink just a few "tee's". I do have a filter (which I opened and cleaned), but is on the freshwater tank leg, not the city water. Thanks for trying to help.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
The "fix" appears to have been replacement of the "diverter" for the sprayer on the galley sink and clogged "water saving"
Device on shower head.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyoak View Post
Hi Steve, Hope i'm not on the same class at that guy? I read the thread and resolution. As mentioned, The freshwater tank and pump work fine. Water at all points in the trailer. No water anywhere while hooked up to city. I guess I'm missing the commonality of that thread. There are no shut off valves between the city water and the sink just a few "tee's". I do have a filter (which I opened and cleaned), but is on the freshwater tank leg, not the city water. Thanks for trying to help.
Yes, sorry, I do remember now that you had water from the tank, but not from the city water input. Two threads and about a weeks time and my feeble old mind fails.

I think at this point, if I were you, I'd make up some hose that would extend outside of the trailer so not to get it wet, and start taking the system apart, attaching the test hose, and applying water to the city inlet. Start from right after the check valve. That way you can prove where water is getting to, and where it is not, and at least localize the problem.

You know there are no valves, so it must be something like a kinked hose, or foreign mater in the line preventing water flow.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
If everything in your water system works when using water from the freshwater tank via the pump, then the restriction has to be in a part of the system that is not used in that configuration.

Follow the plumbing until you know where the city water line connects to the rest of the system. Logic says the problem has to be in that area. (Logic has failed me at times, so take all advice from me with caution.)

Once you've identified the part of the system affected only by city water, do what SteveH says above.

Airstream included onboard pressure regulators in the city water lines in some trailers. I read here that they are known to fail. That might be worth checking.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Bozeman , Montana
The problem was a shark bite pex conection. I thought it was a coupler, but it turned out to be a one way valve. The person who did some work for me put it in backwards. Thanks for helping me solve it.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Glad you found the problem.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote