Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Dallas , Texas
City water overflowing freshwater tank

On our last trip, I connected to city water and after a period of time it would overflow my freshwater tank. Does anyone know what could cause that? I am thinking that the pump is allowing water back through, but I wasn't sure if there is a valve or something that I may be missing.
223002104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
You are right, the check valves in the pump should prevent this.

Not wanting to have to count on this I added a check valve into my line when I plumbed my trailer. I also added a manual valve that has remained open.

You can repair or replace the pump, (it probably bleeds back pressure and cycles) or add a check valve.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If it is on your 2015 FB Sport, the dealer should fix it under warrantee. It will need a new pump as the internal check valve must be leaking.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Sheridan , Colorado
This post is very helpful to me. This is happening in my 2014 30' International.
FFEJANDIRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Sheridan , Colorado
What is the make/model of your pump?
FFEJANDIRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
There's a check valve at the output end of the water pump...or should be. I also had the same overflow problem. When I went to replace the check valve Airstream had omitted it. I installed one and no more problem. To replace, simply disconnect the line at the pump, slide the valve in and reattach the line.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
This is a common problem. My pump has been replaced twice under warranty.

I don't know this for sure, but I believe that debris in the valves is the root cause. I believe that disassembling and cleaning the pump would clear up the problem in most cases.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
There's a check valve at the output end of the water pump...or should be. I also had the same overflow problem. When I went to replace the check valve Airstream had omitted it. I installed one and no more problem. To replace, simply disconnect the line at the pump, slide the valve in and reattach the line.
The check valve is internal to the pump. Airstream did not omit it, but the internal valve in the pump was leaking. You simply added a second check valve external to the pump, but should not have had to do it. A second check valve can cause extra flow restriction, and sometimes keep the pump from priming properly when first turned on. That OP "fix" caused me hours of problems looking for the cause on one rig I owned. So, I cannot say I think it is a good idea.... grin.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
The check valve is built into the pump, Airstream did not omit it. Your original must have been leaking. Adding a second check valve can cause pressure issues and can cause the pump to not prime properly so I cannot recommend it. I spent hours looking for a pump problem on one rig I owned which was caused by a PO putting an external check valve on the pump.. so, I cannot recommend that .... grin.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
That's all interesting. This was on an '05 Bambi. I called Airstream who sent me the check valve. After I installed it I called them back to say there was no check valve when I opened the line. Customer service said this somwtimes happens. The water system then worked fine the whole time I owned the trailer.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
My 2014 FC 20' has no external check valve from the factory. Every pump I have seen has them built in, and that has been true for many years. I can't imagine why the factory service center said that a missing one "sometimes happens".

At any rate, glad your pump worked well with the external check valve. The RV I had which one had been added to would not prime properly with the external valve. When I finally removed it, all was back to normal.

I guess even water systems can be strange at times.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My 2004 Classic has an internal check valve. I had the same problem when the trailer was brand new under warranty. Dealer replaced the pump.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:43 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I have a 2014 FC 20. I read your post about the check valve. Where is it located? In the water pump itself or external? I wish there were manuals with photos. Reason why I'm asking..occasionally when I have the water pump switch turned on it will cycle on then off, ie I hear it make a noise then switch off. I do not know if there is a leak anywhere. Doesn't seem to be. What causes this? Do yo know? Thanks.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I have a 2014 FC 20. I read your post about the check valve. Where is it located? In the water pump itself or external? I wish there were manuals with photos. Reason why I'm asking..occasionally when I have the water pump switch turned on it will cycle on then off, ie I hear it make a noise then switch off. I do not know if there is a leak anywhere. Doesn't seem to be. What causes this? Do yo know? Thanks.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
See post 2, 3, 6,8,9,11, and 12 for location of the check valve.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Also you might get more specific feedback on the 20-footer thread, where we all have the same model:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...rs-127845.html

I think the check valve is integral with the pump, but am not sure.

This recent thread may also help:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...nk-205998.html

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #17

2020 30' Classic
Magnolia , Texas
We have a new 2020 classic. Our fresh water tank mysteriously went from displaying 20% full to 80% a few days into our first road trip, and then a couple of days later back to 20%. I've never added water or turned on the pump(we operated on hookups). I suspect the level sensor but haven't had the chance to investigate.
digB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Los Osos , California
Check valve location

We have a 2018 27' Tommy Bahama. The pump is a ShurFlo 4008-101-A65. The check valve is in the pump head -- if you take the head off, it's a round spring-loaded "button", set in a rubber collar. We had the leaky-check valve problem, exhibited by water back filling the fresh water tank and flowing out the vent by the filler tube. Make neighbors in a camp site very excited.

That's the good news.

Now the bad. It's not user-serviceable, although you can buy a replacement pump head (for considerably less than the cost of the entire pump). If there's a major chunk of debris causing the problem, you could remove the debris, but you'd probably hear the pump cycling *a lot*. At least on our installation, there's a cleanable filter screen on the pump inlet side, and it's supposed to catch debris before it reaches the pump.

When we had the problem, I tried manually cleaning it, I tried chemically cleaning it, and I finally replaced the entire pump. The problem hasn't recurred with the new pump...but it hasn't been very long, so the jury is still out.

Why did it fail? In our case, I suspect the use of the pink RV winterizing antifreeze. I had similar problems with a Village Marine watermaker, when we'd pickle it -- the pickling solution evidently was absorbed by the rubber portion of a diversion solenoid, causing it to fail. Crazy, since the maker advises pickling! But true. I wonder if the rubber seat for the check valve was damaged by the antifreeze. I didn't let antifreeze near the new pump this winter, and I haven't had the problem. Who knows. Maybe it was gremlins.

Jeff
JeffE is offline   Reply With Quote