Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Question Chlorinating Fresh Water

We do not have chlorinated water to our house as we live on rural property with a residential well. When I fill our AS 40 gal. fresh water tank, I would feel better if the water was chlorinated. Is there a simple way to do this? If so, what product to I use and how much for 40 gallons? Thanks in advance for your thoughtful responses
curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The product to use would be Clorox brand UNSCENTED chlorine bleach. Bog-standard laundry item available darn near anywhere.

The amount you would need, I'm not so sure of..probably no more than an ounce or so, because you don't need much--I do know that if you can smell the bleach, it's way too munch. Try searching the forum threads for "sanitizing fresh water tank" for discussion on the subject...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The amount is on the chlorine container.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I use a capful per our 50 something gallon fresh tank.
Barely discernible smell of bleach.
Been doing this for eons.... We drink with no I'll effects.
I use a much stronger solution when I sanitize like I mean it.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by curnes View Post
We do not have chlorinated water to our house as we live on rural property with a residential well. When I fill our AS 40 gal. fresh water tank, I would feel better if the water was chlorinated. Is there a simple way to do this? If so, what product to I use and how much for 40 gallons? Thanks in advance for your thoughtful responses
One teaspoon regular-strength unscented Clorox brand bleach per 5-to-8 gallons, according to a number of authorities, including World Health Organization, FEMA, EPA, and CDC. One teaspoon per 8 gallons gives you less chlorine taste and smell, but one per 5 gallons is better if you use water from a questionable source, and will still keep you within the safe concentration of 1 to 4 parts per million of chlorine in the drinking water.

So for your 40-gallon tank you will want anywhere between 6 teaspoons and 9 teaspoons (allowing an extra teaspoon for your water heater's capacity).

The reason why all of these health authorities recommend Clorox is because Clorox quality control guarantees that the actual concentration of chlorine in the bleach is exactly the same from one bottle to the next. No other manufacturer can make that claim (yet).
Old 10-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/di...rifying-water/
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Thank you for your responses. I know what to do now.
curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedpuppy View Post

btw, by that article from clorox, it's more like 2.5 (concentrated) or probably 3 (regular) teaspoons to the 40gal tank.

But here's another that has 2 teaspoons per 10gal, which is more consistent with the previous posts.

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/B...erPurification
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
One teaspoon regular-strength unscented Clorox brand bleach per 5-to-8 gallons, according to a number of authorities, including World Health Organization, FEMA, EPA, and CDC. One teaspoon per 8 gallons gives you less chlorine taste and smell, but one per 5 gallons is better if you use water from a questionable source, and will still keep you within the safe concentration of 1 to 4 parts per million of chlorine in the drinking water.

So for your 40-gallon tank you will want anywhere between 6 teaspoons and 9 teaspoons (allowing an extra teaspoon for your water heater's capacity).

The reason why all of these health authorities recommend Clorox is because Clorox quality control guarantees that the actual concentration of chlorine in the bleach is exactly the same from one bottle to the next. No other manufacturer can make that claim (yet).
I would get forgetfull at about 7 or 8 spoons and then spill a couple spoons. How many shot glasses or something common we might have and spill less often while fooling with diluted sodium hypochlorate? One shot glass?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
I would get forgetfull at about 7 or 8 spoons and then spill a couple spoons. How many shot glasses or something common we might have and spill less often while fooling with diluted sodium hypochlorate? One shot glass?
6 teaspoons equals one liquid ounce.

The only place that a shot glass is strictly defined is in Utah, where one shot glass holds exactly 1½ ounces. Elsewhere, a shot glass may hold anywhere from 1¼ to 1½ ounces if brim full.

So if you're not trying to measure exactly, a shot glass full in a 40-gallon tank should be close.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The new search function box above -- with the blue border and powered by Google to search only this forum -- works great FYI. The results for "fresh water bleach" reveal many diverse discussions, and a range of opinions:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fres...=airforums.com

Factors to consider include the previous use/treatment of your 2010 water tank, how long was it empty, how long was there water standing in it, and so forth.

If you want to be safe, an initial treatment with heavy bleach might be justified [including pumping through all lines], followed by a light bleach solution to stand in the tank and all lines.

Too many variables to cover in one post, thus the search results above. The simplistic opinions given here earlier, without knowing the exact circumstances of your specific tank and its history, may therefore not cover your needs precisely IMO.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
If you want to be safe, an initial treatment with heavy bleach might be justified [including pumping through all lines], followed by a light bleach solution to stand in the tank and all lines.

Too many variables to cover in one post, thus the search results above. The simplistic opinions given here earlier, without knowing the exact circumstances of your specific tank and its history, may therefore not cover your needs precisely IMO.
Good point.

For the record, my recommendation assumed that the OP is starting with clean tanks that have already been sanitized according to the instructions in his Airstream's owner's manual.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #13
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
There are two times the chlorine odor is pronounced. One is if too much chlorine. That is usually just a smell of chlorine and not overly repugnant. The other time is with not enough chlorine in water with some organic mater. Very strong repugnant odor.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I do add a bit of bleach to my water tank but thinking is it really necessary using pre chlorinated city water?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #15
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I might think a tad would be ok using chlorinated city water if it would be in the tanks a while, to keep it potent as it were while it slowly off gases? but if tanks are clean already totally not necessary except for mild sanitizing since the water is safe already for drinking aye?

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote