Old 11-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Check Valve location?

I've searched and haven't come across where to install the check valve at the fresh water inlet side of the plumbing. Should it be upstream or downstream of the pressure regulator?

Old 11-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
I've searched and haven't come across where to install the check valve at the fresh water inlet side of the plumbing. Should it be upstream or downstream of the pressure regulator?
The best spot is right at the city water connection. Put the drop elbow on the frame, then the check valve, then the garden hose connector. You can put the pressure regulator inside the trailer after the water line goes up inside.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Not really your issue, but I've seen places where the city water pressure is very high, and in those places I put another regulator at the park's faucet to protect the hose.

I've seen other's hoses blow in the midday sun with such pressure.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Installing the check valve as close to the city water inlet, is the way Airstream did it back then.

Andy
Old 11-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Do I have it right?

OK, So to be safe a hose type pressure regulator at the water source and before your water hose. This prevents your hose from rupturing should there be a spike in the water pressure. Next a check valve after the water inlet. This prevents water from getting pumped back out the water inlet(and into the park or city water system). Then a pressure regulator to regulate the pressure to the trailer's plumbing. This is in case you don't have a water source (hose type)pressure regulator. Another check valve downstream from the water pump so that when hooked up to city/park water it does not fill then overfill your water tank. I think most new water pumps have built -in check valves. I still am planning on a check valve downstream from the water pump. What about a check valve at the water heater inlet so that hot water cannot be siphoned into the cold water system?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
"Another check valve downstream from the water pump so that when hooked up to city/park water it does not fill then overfill your water tank. I think most new water pumps have built -in check valves. I still am planning on a check valve downstream from the water pump. "

I have had some bad experience with a second check valve after the water pump which has a built in check valve. The problem is that if you have a lift, like from an under floor water tank, and the pump is dry as in after a winter draining, the pump does not have enough suction and then positive pressure to overcome the resistance of the additional check valve. So, it will not self prime.

Just a heads up. I don't think that the second check valve after the pump is necessary, and in fact may cause you some problems.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The built-in check valve in the water pump will be enough.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
What about a check valve at the water heater inlet so that hot water cannot be siphoned into the cold water system?
Interesting that you asked this. I have an issue with the kitchen sink cold water. It comes out hot at first. Searching different sites I found that this can be caused by "T" to the cold water being close to the input to the water heater. My "T" is only a few inches from the "T" to the water heater. I am going to install a Camco 23303 check valve at the input to the water heater and see if that resolves the issue.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Neither multiple check valves/vacuum breakers nor multiple pressure regulators on the city water system make any sense to me. The location of each defines the point where they become effective, so if you want to prevent backflow into the city water system, place the vacuum breaker at the hose bib. If you want to protect your hose and everything downstream from excessive pressure, then place the regulator right after the vacuum breaker. Adding another pressure regulator downstream from that will have no function, unless it’s set at a lower pressure. As to check valves controlling directional flow on the water pump, I believe most modern systems have that.