Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
East Northport , New York
Can't get water to pump from fresh water tank

We just purchased a 2004 Safari 25' and drove it from New Mexico to New York. During our ride home we were able to use the tank until yesterday. It has water and it sounds like the water pump is working. We tried draining the tank but the tank won't drain. There is definatly water in the tank but we can't get it to come out the faucets. My husband read that there is a water filter in the bottom of the curbside wardrobe but the panel is glued on & we're not sure if we should pry it off to look, does anyone know if the filter is there? The Pryor owner never used the tank, she always hooked up to water. We're. Wondering if there is something clogging the system and if so what's the best way to clean it out.
xbr443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to the forum.

If there is water in the tank and you hear the pump running, I would say that there is an obstruction between the pump and the faucet.

I don't know about the 2004 models and where there may be a filter, but you may check the owners manual if you have one. Somebody else should chime in soon that may have some specific experience about your model.

You may want to loosen the connection at the outlet from the pump to make sure that there is water flow there, if you know where the pump is. Here again, you may need the owners manual.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
You should not have to remove any glued panels to access the water pump and filter. In most models the floor of the wardrobe can be lifted up for access.

It is possible that the strainer (it's really not a filter) on the inlet side of the pump is clogged. It's also possible that the valves in the pump have failed or that there is a leak in the suction plumbing from the tank. It's all together in the same spot so you're going to have to get to it and take a look around.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
My 02 25 has a strainer on the suction of the pump. The pump is under the curbside closet. It may be a hose fitting that needs to be tightened. Hose fittings pn suction side of pump can cause the pump to pump air instead of water. I think the closet floor has screws in it from the factory.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
East Northport , New York
Thanks, my son found the access to the filter. We were expecting it to be the floor of the wardrobe but it is actually the wood panel under the wardrobe. They found the strainer and are working on it now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
xbr443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Atascadero , California
fresh water tank problems

When I started to fill my fresh water tank I noticed water coming out of a copper tube in the front street side. Plus I can't find a valve to shut it off and I think it is a overflow I can't seem to get enough water in tank to get the pump to work. everything works fine when hooked to a water hose help
65 newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr443 View Post
Thanks, my son found the access to the filter. We were expecting it to be the floor of the wardrobe but it is actually the wood panel under the wardrobe. They found the strainer and are working on it now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Try letting the pump run with faucets open to make it easier to prime - or disconnect the pump outlet to make it easier still to prime.

Presume you have enough water in the tank!

Is it possible that the intake side of your pump has a valve and short hose for sucking in antifreeze to winterize the trailer it and maybe the valve was left in the wrong position?

Where are you now? If in NY, could the inlet be frozen?

Maybe something in the pump is seized up if never used?

Dunno what else to suggest!

Brian.

PS - the pump in our 2005 was in bad shape when we bought the trailer (used) - I think it was an Aquaflow - made a heck of a noise and very little flow and was very hard to prime. I used to have to suck water into the pump from the antifreeze hose and then switch it to the tank to get it to prime!

After a year or two it gave up completely and I installed a "Shurflo" pump for about $200. A world of difference - lots of flow and almost no noise!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote