Old 06-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Canadian source for freshwater tank

Anybody know where to get a fresh water tank for a 1978 Sovereign 31' rear bath? More specifically, shipped to (or within) Canada?

Mine is severely damaged beyond repair, and I'm having trouble finding one newer than 1977.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Inca Plastics will make a tank to your specs.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Shipping costs are prohibitive crossing the border, especially for something as large as a water tank... Hence why I'm searching for a supplier in Canada.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
I know what your going threw Mikeyman. As I'm finding the same problem. Can't find anyone to ship it. VTS won't and still no response from Inca. My next avenue will probably be Ian at Can- Am in London.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Industrial plastics will build on to you specs. Click the link.

Home
Dave

[QUOTE=Mikeyman;1643324]Anybody know where to get a fresh water tank for a 1978 Sovereign 31' rear bath? More specifically, shipped to (or within) Canada?
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
So I managed to go through every supplier in the book, and here's the answers I can prolly help the next guy with...

1. I called Inca plastics. The guy was super nice, but unfortunately for my specific tank, they don't have the moulds anymore. There exists a possibility that they can build it on spec, but you're looking at $500 USD or so to make the mould, then the cost of the tank around $300 USD then shipping to me (just north of Edmonton) is $220 USD. Plus, let's not forget brokerage fees, taxes and whatever else they decide to charge you at the border.

2. I spoke with Martin at Can-Am RV and he's looking into the cost of a tank from his supplier, which, unfortunately is Airstream. He gets dinged with shipping to him, then whatever freight charges to get it to Alberta. I don't have a price yet, but he told me to make sure I was sitting down...

3. I went to a local plastics place in town. Oil and gas industry being prime up here, there are many that do this kind of work. Long story short, to make a tank from scratch would be in the same order of magnitude as Inca minus the shipping charges.

My solution: since my tank doesn't have anything special about it (it sits in a pan between the axles and is nearly rectangular, except this one weird rectangular cut out which doesn't appear to serve a real purpose), I gave the local guy my tank and he's on the hunt for a product that looks similar, and will do the work to put the fittings for the drains, overflow, filler and sensors where they need to be for my trailer. It won't be an exact fit, but in my case since I just have a rectangular tub to work with I can shim with styrofoam and make it snug.

I should hear back I a couple of days, but initial estimates are $300-$400 CDN for the final product.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
between ottawa & Toronto , Ontario
Hi Everyone, my first post of the forums! I'm also looking at replacing my fresh water tank. Has anyone looked into D & M Plastics in Alberta? They have a poly tank that's very close to the original dimensions. 56.75 inch long by 43.5 wide and 5.75 high. Quote was $330.00 cdn. here is the link. RV Fresh Water Tanks & Waste Holding Tanks - D&M Plastics Inc.

The model is RFW1055
Old 09-07-2015, 11:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
I had called them, unfortunately nothing they had was going to fit my application. They seemed friendly, though.

Just an update, I ended up getting the company I mentioned above to cut down one of their existing tanks. They did a great job, and it fit pretty snugly into my trailer. Total cost was about $400CDN when all was said and done. The company was Hobblestone Plastics, local to me, surprisingly.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
Now if I could find a company like that in Ontario, that would be great.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
I wonder if anyone has already started a thread listing as many canadian suppliers as possible for miscellaneous parts that people might need while repairing / maintaining / or improving their trailers? How about a complete directory of canadian sourced parts!

It would be great if replacing a fresh water tank that would fit a 70's, 80's or 90's trailer in Ontario was simple to find. It would seem having a company cut down an existing stock tank to fit might be the only answer in some cases. The goal is to find someone close enough so that you can pick the tank up. I had a quote for shipping a tank from Alberta to Ontario and it was over $220.00
Old 09-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
A thread listing where to get stuff for us Canadians would be awesome. I found it insanely difficult on my Overlander to get some things at any price! I have a huge directory of all the sources I look at and could start a page off if anyone is interested?
Old 09-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
I'm definitely interested in your huge directory of canadian sources for parts! Up until now I've mostly ordered parts from the states because most items weren't available here in Canada. Even tempro 635 caulking at one time could be ordered through Fastenal locally for about $9 but starting last year they began charging shipping fees which brought the price up to $20 a tube!

Anyway, I pressure tested my old fresh water tank with an air compressor to about 25 pounds of pressure making sure to turn it off before it expanded too much. I found two leaks and so I patched with a plastic boat epoxy repair kit from West Systems. I also added a small patch of fiberglass sheet as well.

We'll see how long it holds.... fingers crossed.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Ugh, off topic but speaking of shipping prices...Previous owner of my trailer decided to drive off with the stabilizer jacks down. 3 went missing. I ordered 3 and they cost me $170, not so bad. Until you factor in $120 for shipping. Then the US/Canadian Exchange rate. I closed my eyes and pressed "Proceed with order", and refuse to look at my credit card bill.