Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
San Marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
can the last drop come out of the water tank?

i am in the process of adding a fresh water tank to my 1965 caravel after taking out the original, under dinette tank a few years ago.
my thought was to put one under the trailer and have realized that a 48 x 36 x 5 1/2" would give me over 30 gal. on second thought i have realized that the side mounted outlets would probably be at least 1/4" above the base of the tank, and they are 1/2" fittings. so at about 3/4" i would be sucking air and would give up almost 20% of my tank capacity.
this could also be greatly affected by the angle at which i could be parked.

questions...... what happens at the bottom of the tank? does the pump stop working when it sucks air? does this relate to some discussions that i have seen on self priming pumps?

should i really be rethinking my plan and do a more vertical, deeper tank somewhere else?

thanks for everyone's insight in advance.
kevinkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Why not have a fitting that has a copper pipe that is bent down , almost touching the bottom...you could sodier it...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I've been told that the new pumps just suck air when they run out of water, (by the service guy at Autstream Adventures NW) they can continue to do so for quite a while without suffering any damage.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote