Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Bowling Green , Missouri
Bypass water tank in '62 tradewind?

Our '62 TradeWind has the original galvanized fresh water tank. Nearly all the time we are in a campground with water, so I would like to bypass the tank so that I don't have to fill it each time, then drain it as we leave.
What is the best way to do this, and, I guess, is there any reason not to do this? Water heater perhaps?? I think I would need a valve so that I can either bypass the tank or fill it. I am also considering replacing the old tank with a plastic tank for those few times we might need it.
Thanks for any help
walt
retrocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Walt, the original steel tank in our '63 leaked like a sieve, so it got tossed out the door, and replaced with a 15 gallon plastic tank. I plumbed the tank in so it could be either filled through the regular fill door with a hose, or you could lift the mattress and base for the bed, and turn a valve to fill the tank from inside while connected to city water. I installed a par water pump between the rest of the system and the water tank so it wouldn't overflow while hooked to city water. If you did that, your plumbing would be a lot simpler, as the pump has a check valve to keep that from happening.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Bowling Green , Missouri
Terry,

Thanks for the help. It seems like this should be fairly simple, but just haven't had the time to tear into it. It just seems like extra trouble to have to fill the tank each time when we really don't need it.

thanks again

walt
retrocats is offline   Reply With Quote