Old 01-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I noticed in HD the other day, a tool for crimping pex fittings that is only $25. I can't find it on their website, but it is a clamp-like device, with several size holes, for various sized fittings. not sure of the name for this type of tool...maybe a "die block". Anyway, the "squeeze" comes from your vice-grips. (don't know why the label said to use vice-grips, vs. any other type of pliers).
The interesting thing about it was that it looks to me like you could use this tool in the cramped spaces of an airstream. Thats what looks impractical, to me, about the standard crimp tools. not only are they expensive, there's no way you'd ever be able to use such a large tool, unless you were re-plumbing a completely gutted trailer.

Here, I found it:
http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/pocketcrimper.html

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I noticed in HD the other day, a tool for crimping pex fittings that is only $25. I can't find it on their website, but it is a clamp-like device, with several size holes, for various sized fittings. not sure of the name for this type of tool...maybe a "die block". Anyway, the "squeeze" comes from your vice-grips. (don't know why the label said to use vice-grips, vs. any other type of pliers).
The interesting thing about it was that it looks to me like you could use this tool in the cramped spaces of an airstream. Thats what looks impractical, to me, about the standard crimp tools. not only are they expensive, there's no way you'd ever be able to use such a large tool, unless you were re-plumbing a completely gutted trailer.

Here, I found it:
Pex Crimpers
I saw this at the orange box as well, and would be interested to hear if anyone has used it successfully? For curiosity's sake of course, as I've already completed my re-plumbing using PEX and a combination of Flair-it and JACO fittings.

But if it works, then it would make using the crimped connectors VERY affordable, even for relatively small repair jobs.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
You can rent the crimpers at HD (around $20/day) and I can also verify that getting those big tongs into position to crimp a particular fitting in a trailer can be very difficult. Mis-positioning of the crimpers leads to faulty crimps which leak, though the copper bands are cheap and relatively easy to cut off and give it another try.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANTINO MARC View Post
what is best type of water pipe or line to use when re-plumbing older trailers? have removed all old copper and want to go back with all new. have considered PEX, but fittings are costly. What about PVC/CPVC or even braided reinforced vinyl? am wide open to suggestions. trying to keep costs down as well.

Go with the PEX. I used the vinyl and it tends to need the clamps tightened now and then. Set it up so when you drain the system all fittings drain. They don't like to freeze. Should be a once and done. No fittings where you cann't get to them easily.

There are also fittings that do not require a special tool. Use compression.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I used PEX like most of the other posts, I messed up on my first fittings and went with Quest fittings. They were terrible. I spent the money and bought shark bites. I have had everything running for a year and no more leaks.

Brian
Old 01-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Buy the tool and go with the pex. It opens up options for routing your plumbing which can be a great advantage. Here's one of the pictures of one of my installs.

71 Caravel Water System - Pex water line & water inlet upgrades to 71 caravel Photo Gallery

Tom Waugh