Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Best places to find freshwater faucets?

We are newbiew and heading out on a trip to a national park campsite. We'd like to hold off on filling up the freshwater tank until we get closer to our campsite.

Where do you usually find good faucets for freshwater fillup long the way? Gas stations? National park campsite?

We only have our white water hoses - not much other special equipment.

Thanks!

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Sandy,

Try to get to Home Depot, Lowes or even WalMart. They have a whole house filter unit with replaceable filters that are about $30. Get one with the clear filter housing so you can see inside the unit to check the filter. Get a 10 foot water hose for the other side and there is your water supply setup. (you will also need threaded pipe to male and female hose fittings to adapt the filter unit to hose fittings - they have them in the plumbing section at HD or Lowes).

I would recomend this type over the camping store type - they last longer and a filter change is cheaper in the long run. Get one with a carbon filter inset that also gets out the dirt, makes the water taste better.

Remember to cap your hose when not in use in storage to keep dirt out, drain excess water and use pleach when you suspect ant junk getting in. It will not hurt the filter.

Where to get water that is safe??? Always a good question, but a little bleach works wonders - just a few drops per tank full. Boil water when there is a question of quality - never risk it.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
_

. , .
some interstate rest areas in CO have fresh water fills (the ones with dump stations)

but WHY hold off till close to the campsite?

just fill the tank at home and TRY it.

hauling water will have very little impact on mpg

and a full fresh tank is considered a GOOD thing on a stream,

many believe a FULL fresh tank will improve towing/stability by lowering the center of gravity.

your tv has MORE than adequate capacity to haul a 23 PLUS water.

in terms of weight it's sorta like hauling 1-2 more people...

that can be used for FLUSHING, washing, drinking and so on in route.

i've hauled water 2000 miles and wouldn't have it any other way.

adequate water on board is one of the things that makes RVn pleasant.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I always travel with a full water tank. A little more weight but it avoids any surprises when you arrive.and won't have a measurable affect on fuel mileage. Usually National parks and forest service site will have water faucets but you may have to carry from the faucet in jugs at the less developed sites.
We do not as a matter of course filter the water going into the trailer tank. If we have bad tasting water for coffee or drinking we run it through a Brita pitcher. It will also remove chlorine taste if you do add a little clorox to the tank.

We have even filled from creeks in Alaska and done the clorox thing.

We carry an extra pump just for filling from jugs so we don't have to hold it up and pour
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
I'd suggest the Camco CX 90 ceramic filter, it's used at your water inlet and will also filter water used to fill your tank, it's also cleanable,
Greg
2005 Chevrolet SSR 6.0 LS2
airstreamlosangeles.com
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Leave home with a tank of water.Has little MPG effect. Tows nicer and its been known to happen that upon arriving there is a "Boil" order on camp water.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:49 AM   #7
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
We always travel with a full water tank. We get to where we are going and don't have to worry about water for a day or two. Makes it much nicer to travel.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
One other addition is to add a "water thief" adaptor to your list of must have small items. It's a tapered rubber boot with a brass hose thread end that slips over fawcets that have no threads for a hose to attach to. It's a life saver if you are in a situation where this is the only fawcet around.

You can find them at Camping World or other camping supply sites for just a few $$$. Walmat carries them sometimes.
Attached Images

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Ok

OK-you've convinced me to fill up before we leave. I am hoping our Walmart has faucets because it is nearby....

Excited to be leaving tomorrow!!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thief

I am also going to get a water thief - great little accessory. We have a camping world on our way so can swing in and pick one up. Thanks for giving me the product name.

S
Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
One time when I was younger, we were traveling through the Mojave desert ( 100 plus day ) and the truck started over heating. I can remember my dad saying " This is why I always fill the water tank in the RV before leaving. You never know if one day you will over heat and have no water to refill the radiator". To this day the water tank in the AS is always full.

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
My thought is simple, in any 'worse case scenario', such as a national disaster, water is one of the most important things. We don't last very long without it, having a full tank may be the difference between life and death in the right situation.
So, towing with a full tank is worth the few dollars in MPG loss.......
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Walmart

Most city water is safe to drink, however if it tastes noticibly different from what you are used to... or just because it is "strange" water... you can get diarrhea. Most unpleasant especially while trying to travel.

Walmarts usually have a "big jug" water fill machine. When it's in the front of the store - AND it's late at night you can get a funnel and run back and forth between your tank and the machine with a five gallon jug - six trips and I'm full. OTOH... a few drops of bleach in questionable water and boil before drinking IS less labor intensive!

Glad to hear you've decided to go "full tank" - it's a smarter move believe me. I got caught in a freezing downpour having to change a truck tire - That warm shower afterwards might have saved my life or at least 2 or 3 blue toes!

Paula