Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Best location for shore water connection?

The plumbing on the Overlander is all out. The fresh water tank will return to its original location under the sofa/gaucho/couch/divan/loveseat at the front of the coach. The water heater is mounted on the port side near the furnace and entry door. Because I have to get fresh water from the tank to the water heater, I'm going to have a blue PEX line circumnavigating the interior of the trailer... which means I can put the city water connection pretty much anywhere. I'm going to have to refresh my memory with some pictures, but I'm not quite sure where the original connection was. I have an access panel at the rear of the coach. I also could drop down through the floor and put the shore water connection in the compartment below the bumper. Or I could "T" the connection and run it to both sides allowing for alternative arrangements. I'd better stop before I lock up with "Chinese menu syndrome." Any advice is appreciated.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Standard location is just forward of the rear bumper on the street side.

However, in some models (like my mid-bath Sovereign) all the water systems are on the curb side. I elected to put the city water inlet just aft of the wheels on the curb side--it's no big deal to pull the hose around. I like this because it keeps all the water on one side, eliminates a pipe running across in the belly pan, and makes it easier to control freezing problems.

Many RV parks these days are configured for center hookups, not aft. So a rear bumper inlet is often not near the water spigot.

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
My basic idea is a "T" in the under bumper compartment allowing me to connect to shore water from both sides. I'd also like to plumb in the fittings to run an outdoor shower (hot/cold). I could route the water feed line into the coach under the bed and have plenty of room for a pressure reducing valve/backflow preventer. I could also plumb in a bypass to allow draining the system. I'd like to minimize the number of holes I punch in the floor as well.

I understand the concern about freezing problems. There's no way around having water on both sides of the coach (galley and head). With the right valve set up, I could shut a valve inside the coach and open both ends of the "T" to allow any water in pipes outside the coach to drain. As for inside, I guess it behooves me to keep the lines empty or the coach above 32 degrees.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Ideas abound around here

Here's an idea for you to kick around.

1967 Airstream Overlander International
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I like the idea of the caraway seed in the fried chicken batter.

Seriously, though, I like the plumbing in concept, TW. Time to walk to the Overlander and ponder a bit.