Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Benefits of keeping fresh water tank

We did some demo in our Argosy today and are thinking about taking out the fresh water tank completely. When we do camping we stay with hook ups...not really into much camping in the cool months...mostly camping in spring and fall. In our other non-airstream camper we have never used the fresh water tank. Look for other suggestions......
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Ours had already been removed when we bought it. It has given us more room in the lounge area. We decided that we were not going to stay where we didn't have full hookups. If push comes to shove we can always put a couple of gallons in the back of the tv to tide us over.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
To each his own. From my standpoint I normally only have one outing a year where I need the freshwater tank. On the other hand prior to going on longer trips, we do put in a few gallons to provide water for toilet flushing It's not been unusual to use the trailer bathroom rather than the gas station.

We've also been in a campground suffering either from a power failure or water outage due to the campground's water supply failing due to pump or city water turnoff.

Some folks also use the fresh water tank to augment the city water in cases of low water pressure.

Just a few things to consider.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
danalee...this is our thoughts too. We had a dinette in the front of the camper and want to change that too a sofa/bed. Still trying to figure that part out too.
TAC# KY-3
Old 01-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I take it your fresh water tank is located above the floor? Perhaps install a smaller tank to hold the few gallons that Jack suggested for toilet flushing. On my 31' Sovereign the tank is below the floor and when full helps to lower the center of gravity and add stability to the trailer (like it really needs it) We typically travel with the tank near full if weight restrictions allow, it allows a lot of flexibility as to where we can stay when on the road. Our biggest problem is the lack of grey water space.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
That's what the previous owner did with ours. We have a small sofa bed and not having the water tank justifys the weight of the sofa bed. Eventully I wanted to use some other kind of lighter weight bed because it is hard to pull out and make up. I even like the idea someone I think in Melbourne-used-two matching recliners. We plan to have a portable table to set up at the campsite for meals or if need be we can set it up inside. The orginal table is a tight fit now with the sofa instead of the gaucho style. We eat on tv trays at home most of the time anyway. I keep telling my husband that we need to tailor this to our needs. We don't intend to sell it rather hand it down in the family and whoever winds up with it years from now can do what they want to. If the grandkids come we can always let them pitch their tent or put sleeping bags on the floor or in back of the tv.:>
Old 01-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Gee, we ONLY use the fresh water tank, even if we're staying with hookups. I like the fact that if there's a leak in the system the water pump will run occasionally and let you know about it. Plus on short trips we don't have to worry about funny tasting water wherever we go because we fill up at home with our own water, and we rarely run through a whole tank on a weekend trip.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In some cases the fresh tank, if located near the axles as in some units, does also provide an extra level of stability when towing.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
ours is above the floor and it is located against the front wall of the camper right under the windows. It takes up alot of room that we could really use to make a larger sitting/sleeping area. Just not sure it will be enought to keep for the just in case kind of issue...we are just kind of up in the air right now.
TAC# KY-3
Old 01-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
To each his own. From my standpoint I normally only have one outing a year where I need the freshwater tank. On the other hand prior to going on longer trips, we do put in a few gallons to provide water for toilet flushing It's not been unusual to use the trailer bathroom rather than the gas station.

We've also been in a campground suffering either from a power failure or water outage due to the campground's water supply failing due to pump or city water turnoff.

Some folks also use the fresh water tank to augment the city water in cases of low water pressure.

Just a few things to consider.

Jack

We have used ours numerous times for bathroom stops on the way. Just as mentioned above we also have had to supplement weak pressure with our fresh tank and water pump. We also had a cold night where our water hose froze and we had to use our fresh supply. I would be hesitant about getting rid of the fresh tank.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
We did some demo in our Argosy today and are thinking about taking out the fresh water tank completely. When we do camping we stay with hook ups...not really into much camping in the cool months...mostly camping in spring and fall. In our other non-airstream camper we have never used the fresh water tank. Look for other suggestions......
Hello mouth012006, just noticed we are "neighbors".........
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We often camp where overnight temperatures go below freezing and our freshwater tank is critical then because of the need to disconnect. The suggestion from others to put in a smaller tank seems to us to be better than having no tank.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Bonney Lake , Washington
We gutted and started all over with a different floor plan and the only thing I would have done differently is to move the fresh water tank. We use our tank all the time and would really miss it on the road for those pit stops in the middle of nowhere. That plastic molded tank fit so nice up front that I decided to leave to where it was(wrong). I should have moved it to under the bed which is located over the axles. This would have given more room in the living room and lighted up the almost 900 lbs. tongue weight (traveling with no more than 1/4 tank). Even if you don't use your tank much, a smaller tank somewhere else would give you some water for those emergencies- overheated TV, potty breaks etc.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
water tank

A full water tank, creates a lower center of gravity, which means that the trailer handles better when being towed.

Secondly, blow a radiator hose. Where would you get the water?????

Don't laugh, it happens many times, and it could be your turn, next.

Water improves your chances of getting to your destination.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
It happened to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A full water tank, creates a lower center of gravity, which means that the trailer handles better when being towed.

Secondly, blow a radiator hose. Where would you get the water?????

Don't laugh, it happens many times, and it could be your turn, next.

Water improves your chances of getting to your destination.

Andy
Towing in the mountains, up a grade on a warm day, I blew a radiator hose. I happened to have thrown the old spare hose in the last time I replaced hoses. I put the old hose on, and using water from my trailer I was up and running again.

Resale value is another reason to have a freah water tank IMO. I wouldn't buy a trailer without one...
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Same story, different trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Tri View Post
We have used ours numerous times for bathroom stops on the way. Just as mentioned above we also have had to supplement weak pressure with our fresh tank and water pump. We also had a cold night where our water hose froze and we had to use our fresh supply. I would be hesitant about getting rid of the fresh tank.
Hi, 94Tri took the words right out of my mouth.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:04 AM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
Bad idea.
I always leave home with a full water tank. If you get stuck somewhere it could be a life saver.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #18
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
If you take the tank out store it away in the garage with all the fittings. That way you can put it back in if you sell the trailer or change your mind.