Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Bambi 19 water leak, rotted floor

Not sure whare this question should go. There was a suspect discoloration under my dinette that I tore into yesterday. Took out both seats and pulled back the floor covering. As I suspected there was wood rot. I cut out a piece of flooring about 3' x 6", I pulled cover off AC outlet and felt the insulation behind the wall. Dry as a bone.....good! Before I cut a new scrap of plywood to patch floor I happened to reach under solid floor lip and felt WET insulation. Not good. Looking left, toward the water tank, I pulled the flooring up and noticed some damp wood under. I have felt under and around all fittings in the area: tank, pump, etc; nothing. I guess the next thing is to tear out the tank and check under there. With that said, if the tank were the culprit you, or at least me, would think there would be water seeping out from underneath the tank. I hate to drill out the belly pan but is that where I need to go first? BTW and FWIW it rained like hell last night. First thing I did this morning was to check the botton of the exposed front bulkhead where I removed the flooring. Dry so I suspect not a leaking roof or window. Our unit has the small front window not the pano's. Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated........
Woody
amazingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Pictures added

Might help if I added a few pictures of my mess.. Start with the last picture. This is what I cut out. in order to patch the floor. This wood was all rotten. I pulled the AC outlet box out and the insulation was dry. As I began to measure the patch I stuck my fingers under the trailing edge in the last photo and discovered wet insulation. Looking toward street side I began to cut away more floor and found damp floor. It would seem that it is wettest toward that streetside bulkhead. The mouse fur toward that bottom portion is dry. Tomorrow I'll try and pull a little mouse fur up and see if it is wet behind the bulkhead. My unit has been in storage all winter with empty tanks. I filleed the WT a week ago for my maiden voyage. I'm guessing it would be best to partially fill it again and use my galley sink, lav and shower to see if I can stimulate a leak? I pulled the pump and filter apart. No silicon tape was used. I should also note that before I began cutting out flooring to see underneath I checked all of the fittings and found them, and the flooring below them, dry. It was only after cutting out flooring that I found damp wood flooring. Hope this all makes sense. Anybody have any thoughts? This is obviously an ongoing problem that has caused the floor to rot out under the fron window.
Woody

amazingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote