Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Bad Taste In Water After Flushing RV Antifreeze

I have a bad taste in the water in my 77 Argosy after flushing out the RV antifreeze. It goes away if I run water from the street side fitting, but comes back if I let the water sit in the pipes for an hour or so. I replaced all of the pipes with new copper 5 years ago when I re did the entire trailer. Any idea of how to get rid of the bad taste for good?
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Maybe it would be helpful to sanitize your freshwater system? That involves lots of filling and flushing of the tanks and lines anyway, so it could do the trick.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
If you haven't exposed your tank to see all fittings in and out, i would say flushing and dumping would take a long time to get residue out from a tank by dilution. My tank and previous tanks had fitting on the sides of the tank close to the bottom but each time it is emptied there is space between the bottom and the exit to hold about a gallon. You can improve chances of removing by lifting opposite side of exit tubing fitting. Hooking up hose to outside fitting bypasses going into tank, and that is what you are flushing, when you add water to tank and use the pump you are actually flushing the tank.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
The bad taste is from the pipes, not the tank. Like I said it is hooked up to the street water connection, the tank is fine.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
After sanitizing with bleach, try filling the tank and all water lines with either a solution of white vinegar, or (my favorite) baking soda dissolved in water. I use about 4 gallons of vinegar into the (48gal) tank, fill with water, run through all the lines, and let sit for 3 days. For baking soda, I use about a cup or so per 10 gallons, fill with water, run through the lines, let sit for 3 days. Drain and flush, and you won't have any bleach taste left.
It's a little putzy to do but works well.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
I have a bad taste in the water in my 77 Argosy after flushing out the RV antifreeze. It goes away if I run water from the street side fitting, but comes back if I let the water sit in the pipes for an hour or so. I replaced all of the pipes with new copper 5 years ago when I re did the entire trailer. Any idea of how to get rid of the bad taste for good?
Why not do as many of us do drink bottled water only use tank for sanitary purposes. If you put anti freeze into fresh water tank will be hard to get all out.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Was there a water filter in the system when winterized? The dealer winterized our first Airstream with filter in, had to replace the filter.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #8

Yes indeed, as you suggest below, we sanitized and then gave it the baking soda treatment. Water from our fresh tank tastes and smells great.

We don't use bottled water because we're unwilling to contribute to the plastic trash stream unless there's absolutely no other option. Given we sanitized our system ourselves, we're confident it is clean enough to drink. Oh, and we don't use the inline filter under the sink. Instead, we filter all water that enters the system, at the point of entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
After sanitizing with bleach, try filling the tank and all water lines with either a solution of white vinegar, or (my favorite) baking soda dissolved in water. I use about 4 gallons of vinegar into the (48gal) tank, fill with water, run through all the lines, and let sit for 3 days. For baking soda, I use about a cup or so per 10 gallons, fill with water, run through the lines, let sit for 3 days. Drain and flush, and you won't have any bleach taste left.
It's a little putzy to do but works well.

Kay

Old 06-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
There is no filter in the system. The freshwater tank never had antifreeze in it and was taken out and cleaned a few years ago. The problem is from the copper pipes somehow reacting with the RV antifreeze to cause the bad taste. Since vinegar is an acid how will that react with the copper piping if I use that to flush the pipes? Also the hot water smells like sulfur. The hot water heater has a bypass on it so it never got the RV antifreeze in it either.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #10

Ah, clearly we have different plumbing - our 2014 Airstream pipes are all pex, or whatever it is they make them from these days.

If you're concerned about vinegar with copper pipes, perhaps baking soda would be better.

Regarding the sulfurous fumes from the hot water heater, you might want to empty it, flush it out and try again. That smell could be from sediments.

Hey, here's another random thought - have you ever put sulfur-laden water into your fresh tank? Some places have this awful water that stinks of sulfur, especially if you heat it up. Might help to drain / flush and re-fill with a known good water source.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Sounds like leftover antifreeze in the system. It can be stubborn to get out. I had issues in 2 campers, then started winterizing with compressed air. Never again will I use antifreeze.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Sounds like leftover antifreeze in the system. It can be stubborn to get out. I had issues in 2 campers, then started winterizing with compressed air. Never again will I use antifreeze.
+1 to this. Our Airstream is still in the deconstruction stage, but we used antifreeze in our SOB camper for two winters and then I made an adapter using an air chuck connector, a piece of rubber hose, and a hose connector. For the last ten years I've been using air.

Once we start getting overnight freezing do the following:
  • open the low point drains to get most of the water out, then drain the fresh tank and run the water pump until it runs dry.
  • drain the hot water tank and put it in bypass
  • turn the compressor regulator down to 50 PSI and hook up to the city water connection on the trailer.
  • open each tap in turn until it blows air and do two or three rounds of this, going from the bathroom sink to the shower and to the kitchen taps, then repeat. Do both hot and cold taps at each location.
Takes maybe 20 minutes.

So long as you remove over about 75% of the water and there are no low spots in the plumbing, there is no issue if the dregs that remain in the pipes freeze.

As to water smells and tastes: We use one of the little (fist sized) Brita filter units that attaches to the strainer on the kitchen tap. It has replaceable filters and a selector to use or bypass the filter. That thing removes any residual taste including antifreeze residuals. I also use a shock treatment water cleaner on the fresh tank, every trip, but that doesn't do anything for antifreeze if you happen to have that in your pipes.
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Antifreeze and vodka seem to make the copper taste bad. I use wodka to wintrizze my Dragon, waitsing alll wintser to de winster party ans it tasst yecchhy copper in the spring.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Exactly what can happen.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Guess I'd go with baking soda, over vinegar in copper pipes. When we had trailers with copper pipes we used baking soda. We never had that kind of reaction with copper and antifreeze. Different experiences, I guess. Sounds like a good cleaning for your water heater might solve the problem there?
We had a bad experience with blowing our lines the one year we tried it: replaced the water pump in the spring..... Many people do it though with good success.
Haven't ever tried vodka in the copper pipes.... sounds pricey!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
. . .
We had a bad experience with blowing our lines the one year we tried it: replaced the water pump in the spring..... Many people do it though with good success.
. . .
Yup winterizing with compressed air does require some minor manual work like removing the pump's pre-filter, and blowing back (by mouth) into the supply line coming from the tank, to ensure that the gravity drain-back to the tank is complete. Our owners manual is fairly clear about using a rag to capture the water trapped in the pump.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote