Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Atwood Drain

I have a new atwood electric ignition 6 gallon water heater. I am in the midst of designing my water schematic from inlets to PEX to valves etc...I am looking at the drain on the water heater and wanted to know how other people handle this drain. There is no hose coming from it. I was wondering if I am supposed to simply drain it allowing water to run onto parts of the interior controls of the heater. Does this make sense? Basically I am asking if anyone has pictures of their water heater drain aparatus?? sp?

Andrew
64TrotterAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I put a valve on the end of a piece of PVC and screw it in temporarily. When winterizing I can drain off the antifreeze without spilling it all over the controls. I can also reuse the antifreeze on other parts of the system.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:36 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I installed a 1/2" to 1/4" brass reducer bushing and a 1/4" mpt ball valve. I just got tired of pulling plugs all the time. The valve is quick and directs most of the water away from the side of the trailer. Cost about $10.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
I will more than likely do the same today. I want to install a drain that is permanent, brass bushing with mpt valve sounds like the way to go. I will post pictures when I complete the project later today.
64TrotterAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I had a mpt valve leftover from another project. I don't think they are available at Lowe's or Home Depot, but they do have fpt valves and pipe nipples. Just make sure the valve is suitable for hot water. Using a nipple will also allow you to change the valve location, which may make accessing the handle even easier.

I purchased my valves from McMaster-Carr in Atlanta.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote