Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2004, 08:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Are drain valves necessary?

Under the floor in the sink area of my Excella are two drain valves for the hot and cold water lines. One valve has been broken for 3 years, and I can't get my hands down to replace it. I have an awkward stainless steel self-tapper plugged in the broken end to act as a drain plug. I shall probably re-plumb the entire lines to get rid of those weak crimped connectors. When I do so, I am considering not having drain valves at all. I always use anti-freeze, and the drain valves have to be opened and shut to pass anti-freeze, just to protect the valves themselves. This is awkward, and seems pointless. The antifreeze should drive out the water in front of it in the lines.Can anyone think of disavantages to not having these two drain valves? Nick.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1964 19' Globetrotter
Centerville , Utah
No valves at all

I've often wondered the same thing as the PO of my 73 Tradewind replaced all the water lines with pex and didn't install a single drain valve! I'm hoping the antifreeze flush is enough to protect the lines.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I don't have any valves in my 75 Tradewind with pex - not problem after 3 winters

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Under the floor in the sink area of my Excella are two drain valves for the hot and cold water lines. Can anyone think of disavantages to not having these two drain valves? Nick.
I too have wondered about the need for drain valves, however, last year when winterizing I opened the drain valves and drained the lines. Then, when I took the drain plug out of the hot water heater, it was empty. I assume that the drain valve empties the hot water heater, but am not sure. My manual doesn't say what the drain valves do. I am sure someone will let us know.
Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The drain lines are primarily used when winterizing.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 10:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

I would always feel the need for the drain valve close to the city water inlet, unless one introduces the anti-freeze via the city water inlet. I use a 2-way valve permanently installed between the cold water tank and the pump to introduce the anti-freeze. I would not be able to displace the cold water in the city supply line without that one drain valve. Nick.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
FWIW - I've never had a problem with the water inlet freezing - what I do is run air from the inlet to blow the lines out.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 05:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
The antifreeze should drive out the water in front of it in the lines.Can anyone think of disavantages to not having these two drain valves? Nick.
The drain valves can be used to drain some of the water out of the lines before blowing the lines out with air. Takes less time with most of the water removed. If you use antifreeze you really don't have to use the valves. The antifreeze will push the water out. Ben.
Rob30044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 06:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Nick,

I think you're right about having one drain valve in front of the pump. You may need to drain the tank if you have a pump malfunction and need to remove it. I don't think you need the other two if you use anti-freeze.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Thank you Don and all, I'm going to eliminate those critturs! Nick.