Old 06-28-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Anyone fixed a leaking fresh water tank?

I found the source of my earlier fresh water tank leak. It seems to be a crack about an inch long on the bottom near one of the corners.
Has anyone successfully repaired something like this? I guess there are a number of products to try, but I'm not sure where to start. I guess the material would need to be somewhat flexible like some type of silicone sealant?
Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Guy

PS...word to the wise. If you ever have to remove your fresh water tank like the one on my trailer, be sure you have plenty of beer on hand....better yet, just go ahead and get a beer truck on site!
This is not a fun project.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt48
I found the source of my earlier fresh water tank leak. It seems to be a crack about an inch long on the bottom near one of the corners.
Has anyone successfully repaired something like this? I guess there are a number of products to try, but I'm not sure where to start. I guess the material would need to be somewhat flexible like some type of silicone sealant?
Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Guy

PS...word to the wise. If you ever have to remove your fresh water tank like the one on my trailer, be sure you have plenty of beer on hand....better yet, just go ahead and get a beer truck on site!
This is not a fun project.
Do not use silicone, you can either weld it or perhaps some one will recommend a form of liquid plasic weld for you to use.
If you can find a body shop or motorcycle repair shop near you that fixes plastic bodywork they can weld it for you if you do not want to buy the equiptment.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Ditto to Richardt's remarks. The only acceptable repair is to have it plastic welded by someone who knows what they are doing and who has the right equipment to do the job. I had my grey water tank repaired by plastic welding. It had about a half inch crack on the top by the fitting. It is holding well after five months and several thousand miles. An RV repair facility pulled and repaired my tank. They guaranteed their work. That is something you might want to consider. Someone who guarantees their work. You've already indicated that it is a nightmare of a job to pull the tank. My philosophy is why not have it done right?
GStephens