Old 02-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Darlington , South Carolina
Another plumbing problem?!?!

I also found I have a second water leak after doing my first ever plumbing repair. It's located right in front of the Aux holding tank dump valve and very close to a T so I guess I have to replace the T as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392694777.205851.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	205846

Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Is the leak in the copper or the PVC?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

The copper, I just repaired the CPVC yesterday...then this. The CPVC was already there, this will be the first time I've replaced copper.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
OK, there's really several choices.

(A) Ditch the copper and go with PEX. The PEX is more resistant to damage from freezing, true, but it doesn't freeze hardly here in AZ, and I like copper.

(B) Sweat yourself in a copper tee to replace the leaking tee. I'm getting the feeling that this may not be your comfort level.

(C) Go to HomeyD and get SharkBite fittings. They're dirt simple to use, and they don't leak. Just make sure you get the proper size removal tool with them.

I went with C. If this is a hot water pipe, please don't use PVC; it's not rated for hot water. At least use CPVC (the grey stuff), although it's not really ideal for a TT.

Rots'a ruck!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

After getting over the hump and deciding on and then using PEX for my trailer, PVC and copper seem so primitive in a camper.....

Seriously though, if you keep finding one problem after another , consider switching your fresh water lines to PEX.

New, clean, and leak free will provide a lot of peace of mind and possibly add greatly to your enjoyment on the road.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Once you try PEX you will never use anything else for water pipe (hot or cold). I did an entire outbuilding (pool house) with it and it is very easy to work with. Yes, the crimp tool is expensive (I think mine was around $120), but not having to sweat copper, deal with flux, solder, tubing cutter, etc., well PEX just works! And, it does have some flex in it IF you get below 32. You can also combo PEX with other stuff -- like copper. They make adapter fittings for just that purpose.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

So I've decided that since my time to get the plumbing repair is limited, I will cut out the damage and go back in with a connector (sharkbite??). However, at the local hardware, we were unable to size the copper pipe OD, 5/8" slightly too big while 1/2" is too small. I am thinking that I need to visit an RV parts center????
Old 02-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Either you're trying to size on the OD of the tee itself (which is, of course, bigger than the pipe) or the pipe has been expanded due to freezing.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska

It's standard copper pipe. Nothing special about it. There is no pipe specifically made for RV's.
There is copper pipe sized by measuring the ID.
Copper tubing is sized by OD.
In looking at your photo, I would say it is pipe. Because of the coupling that is sweat fitted in the vertical run.
It appears that the horizontal pipe was frozen. Which caused it to split. It split because of expansion. So it is no longer the nominal size.
If you want to try patching it at least temporarily. I would get a tire repair kit and some hose clamps. Place a couple of the patches on sandwiched on top of the split. The tighten a couple of hose clamps around it.
The reason for the tire patch material is that it is soft and pliable.
I guess I was too late with this since you have cut the bad section out.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Another thumbs up for PEX.
I build/remodel high end bathrooms for a living and have soldered thousands of copper fittings in my life.
But about 3 years ago I discovered PEX and it's about all I use now.
Home Despot has a pretty good crimper for around $50 that will do 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and 1" fittings.
Worth the money and very easy to do.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sweating on a bit of copper is simple. Really! Even I have done it.

And work-wise, I would much rather do one T than the entire TT in PEX.

Watch out though: parts of the copper can get expanded and make you look for a pipe size that doesn't exist. Just keep going up the pipe till you get the right diameter.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I had the same thing happen, the pipe was in-between sizes due to freezing. Get the smaller size and it will be correct. You may have to replace more copper tubing to get to a spot that is not stretched due to freezing, so the new fittings will fit.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
I had the same thing happen, the pipe was in-between sizes due to freezing. Get the smaller size and it will be correct. You may have to replace more copper tubing to get to a spot that is not stretched due to freezing, so the new fittings will fit.
That's what I'm afraid has happened! I took a close look at the wall thickness of the portion that I cut out and it is pretty thin, so expansion of the pipe is a definite. The problem I'm hoping to avoid is cutting past the T that is about 2-3" to the right if that dump valve!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
i had the same thing happen, the pipe was in-between sizes due to freezing. Get the smaller size and it will be correct. You may have to replace more copper tubing to get to a spot that is not stretched due to freezing, so the new fittings will fit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393023617.695819.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	206103