Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
An assesment of damage comes today.

Hi Folks;
With nice weather today i will make an attempt to asses the freezing damage to my Argosy. As you know becoming disabled on October 21 2010 from the motorcycle accident, I was not able to winterize the trailer myself. The job was assigned to my 17 year old Grandson. I have given him a verbal instructions from a remote location how to winterize. As I went to remove the door last week so that I could install a window in it, I have noticed a spout from the kitchen sink laying on the sink cover. Not a good sign. The spigot was not opened and it did not drain. So today I will take the opportunity of 65 degree day to pull out the trailer from my custom SS/aluminum shelter and find out what else my Grandson missed. Thanks, "Boatdoc": sad:
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Please know my thoughts on this:

You have trusted your grandson with a task that has implications on something you obviously love. I continually do this with my son every chance I get.

You are providing him with a great learning opportunity, as well as a great way to bond with his grandfather.

There's nothing on that trailer that can't be fixed. Inspect for the damages, casually point out anything he could have done better, and enjoy your time together.

It will make a great story around the campfire!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Please know my thoughts on this:

You have trusted your grandson with a task that has implications on something you obviously love. I continually do this with my son every chance I get.

You are providing him with a great learning opportunity, as well as a great way to bond with his grandfather.

There's nothing on that trailer that can't be fixed. Inspect for the damages, casually point out anything he could have done better, and enjoy your time together.

It will make a great story around the campfire!

It's the misery in life that makes the best stories/memories. No one wants to hear about the trip that had no problems. I once went to a wedding that was absolutely perfect. I can't remember any part of it. My honeymoon was a disaster (still married 16 years) and it makes a great story. Takes about an hour to tell. I got stuck in an airport with my boss, his boss, and other executives and had them in stitches. Words are like pandora's box, you can't take them back. Thank your grandson for helping you out, and then see if you can include him on the repairs, and teach him that no matter what breaks, you can find a way to fix it.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Doc,

You have gotten some great advice. I am sure that you will proceed with all needed caution. Your grandson will soon know that he made some errors without having to bang him over the head. Relationships like these are the most precious things some of us are lucky to have. Tread lightly.

Having survived a couple of near death health episodes myself, the one thing that I came away with was a re-prioritization of the really important things in my life. A functioning water system in my trailer is important but.......would I be willing to put that above a family member's feelings?

Best of luck. I hope this proves to be something easily fixable. Have your grandson help you with the process. You can tell him you are not up to it yet and need his help. He will learn and, in the end, feel good about the whole experience.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
"Atta-boy"

Here in Alaska you soon learn that winterizing anything is a little "iffy", things happen, its not an absolute, perfect art. Your grandson gave it a shot, best effort or not, success or not. I'm sure your proud of the young fella for helping you out. There's some that wouldn't even make the attempt at something they've never done or agree to put forth the effort to help someone in need.

So what if some pipes or fittings break, anything can be repaired. Could happen to any of us, young or not. Some of the most memorable experiences in life are when things go sideways. I'm certain that you don't want that nephew to feel as though he has failed. Go a little farther, put out the effort yourself and pay back the nephew for his goodwill by working together to repair the damage...he may learn a little and you'll walk away a little more enriched for the experience.

Besides, being a bit of a goof ball when your younger is part of the growing up process. No one starts out life with a full tool kit and an instruction manual. You sound like someone who appreciates things in life and wants them right.....a guy that your nephew would enjoy working with and learning something new.
kcbwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Here's the consolation: Older rigs aren't hard to fix. I patched the water system in the 67 many times over -- until last summer, when I replaced the whole business with PEX. It was about one-day job (but about a week to find all the relevant fittings in the boondocks).

Lynn
Old 02-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
ah, common Roman it gives ya something to do. Teach the boy what he did wrong and how to fix it. The time spent together will be priceless.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
ah, common Roman it gives ya something to do. Teach the boy what he did wrong and how to fix it. The time spent together will be priceless.
Hi everyone;
Aside of broken kitchen sink faucet rest of the Pex plumbing survived. Story is different with my 6 gallon water heater. During installation I have removed the 1/2" nylon drain plug. In its place I have installed a drain valve ending with a hose barb. At the pressure blow off another 1/2" barb was installed. The two were connected to a Y barb and piped out through the wall right below cover door frame.
My Grandson Christopher was instructed to open all valves on the manifold under kitchen sink, shower and bathroom sink. He did it all but forgot kitchen sink and drain valve on the water heater. Instead he made a honest mistake and opened a blow off valve instead of a drain. So, before the first outing I need to break out my TIG welder. He already promised to help me with removing it for repair. All and all, not as bad as I expected. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
So will we be seeing your Grandson at a rally this year?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973 argosy