Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
Additional Fresh Water Capacity

I find that I run out of fresh water before I lose battery power when we are boondocking (and yes we are water conservationists; navy showers, sink washing for plates/pans, etc.). Does anyone have any experience with putting a tank or bladder in their tow vehicle for additional fresh water capacity? Any plumbing ideas for an installation such as that?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You could install a big tank and gravity drain it to the trailer water tank when needed, or bring as many 5 gallon jugs as you need for a particular trip.

After used if you're not dumping it overboard, the extra waste water will be excessive for the tanks.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We sometimes pick up a couple of 2 1/2 gallon water jugs, to use for drinking and coffee.

Consumable, and not all of it ends up taking space in the black tank.

We bought one of those 5 gallon sun-showers, they are hard to keep from leaking.

Maggie
Old 01-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Limited Only by Your Tow Vehicle

Anything you add must be carried in, or towed by, your TV.
At approx 8 pounds per gallon, the weight of extra water can be as much a consideration as where to put it.
When boondocking, we carry extra water in those blue, cube-shaped, 6-gal Aqua jugs in the back of our pickup.
Since I have a pickup, space isn't an issue.
Since it is a 2500HD a diesel engine, weight isn't an issue.
We transfer water from the jugs to the fresh-water holding tank via the fill port.
We chose the cube-shaped jugs because they ride better and are less apt to tip over than the tall, plastic, 7-gal jugs shaped like Jerry cans.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have the same issues ... despite how conservative we are with water use, we always run out of fresh water before either of our holding tanks are filled. When we know there won't be water available where we are camping, we take two 7-gal containers of water with us...that allows us to extend our water capacity fairly successfully. Then if we can drive to a water source, we refill them for another round... If we had room to take 3 we probably would, but we just don't have the room.

If we know there is a water source where we are dry camping, we carry one flat 6-gal container (it packs better for us than the square 7 gal containers) that we use to schlep water to the trailer ... we use a collapsible luggage cart to aid in transporting the full jug to the trailer... or drive it, if it's too far to walk.

LHall here on the forums uses a fresh bladder water 30 gals (or 40?) and a 12v pump to get water into the trailer...you could PM him for details.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
What trailer do you have? Is there room under the trailer for a second tank? Don't forget about your weight limit, add the weight of the tank and water to the trailer load.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
We tow with a diesel Grand Cherokee so weight is not an issue. I was thinking a 20-25 gal (170-210 lbs) rigid plastic tank (possibly a bladder but dint know how they hold up) positioned over the folded back seat. Transfer with a 12VDC pump. Want to avoid jugs and smaller containers.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Good Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teton Stream View Post
We tow with a diesel Grand Cherokee so weight is not an issue. I was thinking a 20-25 gal (170-210 lbs) rigid plastic tank (possibly a bladder but dint know how they hold up) positioned over the folded back seat. Transfer with a 12VDC pump. Want to avoid jugs and smaller containers.
Go to a real "trailer supply store" (in Albuquerque, that would be Central Trailer Supply) and you will find a variety of molded, fresh-water tanks in myriad shapes and sizes. There is no doubt you will find one to fit the place you have chosen. (The weight might crush your seat. Though they will support the weight of two, heavy set Americans sitting in them, some seats will not support the same weight when folded.)
The 12 volt transfer pump works great. You are describing a similar set-up I had on my flat-bed, utility trailer when I took it hunting.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
When boondocking, we carry extra water in those blue, cube-shaped, 6-gal Aqua jugs in the back of our pickup.
I have two of those as well, mostly for hurricane evacuations. I find that a good place to carry them is in the shower. The floor's strong enough to hold them, and if one should happen to leak, there's no mess because it all would just go down the shower drain into the gray tank.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Here's a Link

Found these tanks at a website that caters to folks with horse trailers:
Fresh Water Tanks
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
Outstanding, just what I was contemplating. Thanks for the wrist work.