Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Adding Tank Heaters

JC will add tank heaters to my unit for about $1800.

Is it worth the $$ since we FT?

Will it keep the tanks from freezing while we are rolling down the road?

What about the water lines?

Is there a way to add some type of heat strips to the internal water lines to prevent freezing?

We do boondock in the winter. usually in OK, AR, and TX.

Thanks for the help in advance. 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tshaker View Post

Is there a way to add some type of heat strips to the internal water lines to prevent freezing?

Seems to me it would be a lot cheaper to leave the furnace on. I have done this in the winter when travelling and you have a nice warm trailer when you stop for a break.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The short answer is no. Tank heaters like this are 120V and cannot operate off the tow vehicle. Furnace ducts usually route above the floor near the pipes and work to keep those spaces warmer. You may want to trace your plumbing system. Some areas might require leaving a lower cabinet door open to allow heat to get in. Shower mixer valves in outside walls are particularly susceptible to freeze damage. Do you have copper pipes? Those are more sensitive.

You're going to have to measure inside temps to get a sense of what you've got to do. Place a thermometer inside the trailer near plumbing at floor level. Set the furnace on maybe 40-50 degrees and drive for an hour or two at a given outside temperature. Then go see what the thermometer says. I'd suspect you'll need very little heat when it's above 20 degrees F outside.

I found out the hard way not to set the thermostat to 'comfortable' levels. I set it at 60F while traveling 6 hours in 15 degree weather. Used the better part of a 30# propane cylinder too.

The stinger is "your results may vary." The consequences of a freeze-up are pretty costly.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
When it comes to freezing the tanks are the least of your worries. If you are traveling the motion alone will keep the tanks from freezing long after the pipes have frozen.

A tank heater would be useful if you are parked for a long period of time and the trailer heater just is not putting enough heat into basement.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:

Hey Michelle,

Gee, you guys really are SNOWBIRDS!

I've spent a few winters in TX, Dallas, Huston area, and it has never gotten cold enough for my pipes to freeze.

A bit of water running, flushing the pipes with HOT water from the hot water heater helps keep the cold water pipes from freezing( they run side to side for the most part)

It would have to get really really cold, for an extended period of time, to freeze the tanks and pipes.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Hi Michael,

I just sent you an email.

I think DH is over reacting to this financial crisis. He thinks we ought to get the AS ready in case we have to go

further north to follow work. I can't imagine people doing without chicken!I am starting to feel as though I am

getting ready for " Grapes of Wrath". He also thinks that we should utilize the solar system (If you recall, your posts

convinced him that was a GREAT idea) as much as possible. He thinks if we can keep the tanks and lines warm

with thru the use of tank heaters and some type of water line heater tape , we won't have to buy as much

propane. 'shaker
Old 10-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:

Be more worried about your water lines and drain traps. This is where the water is not moving. It is more likely to freeze. You can get 12VDC tank heaters but that will drain your batteries quickly. You will need 120VAC to recharge the batteries quickly.

Most of the heat ducts run with the water lines. Check to make sure they still do. You can put RV anti freeze down the drains wich will keep the black and grep from freezing. Turn the pump off, relieve the pressure on the water lines. That way if they do freeze they are lees likely to burst and if they do burst you will only have a small mess.

I leave my furnace on 55 when I travel in below freezing conditions.
Michelle

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
After reading all the responses, I think there is nothing to gain by adding tank heaters.

Guess I have to let DH know that he is no Henry Fonda... if he was I would have a little gold plated naked man to play with. LOL!

Thaks for the input. 'shaker