Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #1

neunkirchen , niederoesterreich
Adding Freshwatertank/Canister in a Bambi 422

Hi,
first of all I like to interroduce myself:
I'm new to this forum, live in Austria and I'm possibly going to buy a preowned Bambi 422 (=smallest european version of an airstream).

I learned that they use the so called Aquaroll (= cylindric watertank that ist connected to the outside of the Trailer) for the freshwater supply. From my point of view this does not match with the idea of a touring Trailer, it's more suitable for beeing on a campside for a week or so.

So my question is: anyone added a freshwatertank or / canister for the water supply on route to his Bambi?

regards,

Erwin

If you wonder about the nickname you may Google it and find the Airstream Bambi - Austria Connection of the Name

Felix Salten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Erwin: I have read the manual for the European Airstream series and they are quite different from the ones here in the US. The frames appear to be different, the hitches and most importantly the location of the axle. The axle on the European trailers is much more centered than ours here in the US. The tongue weights are much lower than the ones made for the US, apparently due to the prohibition of weight distribution hitches in Europe.

So, that said, I would be very careful when adding or changing the water tanks, both fresh, black and gray water. You will need to be especially concerned to not lighten the tongue weight, especially when the tanks are full. Tanks at the front add hitch weight, but again, it is unclear to me if the European hitch system is up to the addition of much weight to the front.

I was amazed at all the information in the manual on what we call sway here. They had different names for it, but it was obvious that it remains a problem with the European units. You must be very careful not to make that worse.

These are just general observations on my part. I doubt that anyone here has much experience with the trailer you have, and may not be able to help you much. You may have to be the pioneer on what you wish to do.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

neunkirchen , niederoesterreich
Idroba: thank's for the pompt reply!
Unfortunately I think you are right .
Untill now I do not own the Trailer and she is at a german dealer 500 miles away from my hometown.
But I read you checked the Manual of the 422 Bambi?! - Couldn't find this on the web. May I ask you to provide me this link.
Thank's a lot.

Kind regards,

Erwin
Felix Salten is offline   Reply With Quote