Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hutchinson , Kansas
Adding 1" female fitting to freshwater tank

Hello Airstream Freaks,

I recently had a leak in my 2011 25fb freshwater tank so I dropped the tank and had a crack in the fitting of my suction side.

I ordered a new tank from an airstream dealer in Oklahoma and had it drop shipped to me in Kansas. I got the part number from the 2011 airstream parts list online.

Well today I got everything organized and began the process of re installing and realized that there was no fitting to re install my water level monitor. Ugh!

Trying to find a remedy but now know this is either going to involve a lengthy discussion with my oklahoma a/s dealer and cost for shipping back, not to mention the time.

Was wondering if anybody has any experience spin welding. I got on vintage airstream supply's website and they have fittings and installation tools to add the proper fitting. youtube even has some how to videos.

Just wondering what others have done.

thanks
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0624.JPG.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	292043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.JPG.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	292044  

Name:	IMG_0626.JPG.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	292045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.JPG.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	292046  

stephenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #2

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Adding 1" female fitting to freshwater tank

Look up plastic welders in your area or call custom plastic shops for a referral of a plastic welder.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hutchinson , Kansas
Should have mentioned that in my first post. I'd have to ship it some where. Nobody in Kansas does this kind of work.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Maybe it's time to upgrade to external tank sensors, that just get glued to the side of the tank, no fitting required.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
As in seelevel systems vice the useless Micropulse stuff Airstream insisted on installing for years.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:49 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
We've used SeeLevel II sensors for since early summer, after having them installed with a bigger renovation. Wonderful product. The drag for you would be having to do the other tanks, as access to the black and grey tanks might be tricky. Nobody in Wichita that does this type of stuff? Not sure if there's any aviation application for this type of trade. Good luck!!!
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Glade Park , Colorado
I've been there!

Last weekend I was in your shoes. Same exact break at the fitting. I cut out the old fitting the the fix cost less than $10 with a PVC fitting from big box store (sprinkler isle) and the magic...JB Weld Marine putty. Sets in 25 mins and re-assembly in an hour.

No leaks! I'll be keeping a role of this putty in the trailer in case of plumbing emergency!

Good luck. Glad to assist if needed.

Steve
Red SandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I can't believe there aren't any plastics supply dealers/welders in Kansas.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:09 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hutchinson , Kansas
Work it out. The sensor just needs to be sensing water pressure at a low spot in the system. I t'd of the drain lol be and reinstalled the tank. Everything works great again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	292271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	292272  

Old 08-15-2017, 05:41 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenb View Post
Work it out. The sensor just needs to be sensing water pressure at a low spot in the system. I t'd of the drain lol be and reinstalled the tank. Everything works great again.
Not THAT is outside-the-box thinking! Literally!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Was wondering if anybody has any experience spin welding. I got on vintage airstream supply's website and they have fittings and installation tools to add the proper fitting. youtube even has some how to videos.

When I installed a greywater tank in my '71 Cayo, I purchased an ABS tank specifically so that I could cement the bulkhead fittings in place. It is much easier than dealing with polyethylene.

Spin welding is no small thing. There are jigs available but they are expensive, and are usually built around a big router. It is a process you would want to practice a number of times on scrap before using it on a valuable tank.

In your situation, I would use a clamp-on bulkhead fitting, like this:

http://pvcpipesupplies.com/1-pvc-bul...as1010ces.html
Old 08-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hutchinson , Kansas
I thought of using that but there was no way possible to put the inside piece in position to tighten them together. And yeah the spin welding thing looked easy but jigs were pricey and it's a one shot deal. You mess it up and tank is ruined. I thought about the marine jb weld but to many folks that have done it say over time it will work. I'm glad the job is done and now ITS OFF TO CAMPING!!!! ��!!!!
Old 08-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Ocean Springs , Mississippi
I have a 2012 25 ft Flying Cloud and developed the exact same failure in the fresh water tank. Initially, I noticed a leak from a crack in the intake flange. I was able to get some JB Weld Putty on the area but this did not adhere to the polyethylene tank. I then noticed that my tank continued to leak all the way empty. I put a small light into the access space on the curb side of the tank and then used my cell phone to video chat with my wife's phone (my phone when into the hole). I could see water dripping from the suction flange where there appeared to be the exact same crack as seen in the photo at the beginning of this thread. This seems to be a manifacture problem with the tanks. Unfortunately, I am out of warranty. I called the factory and they said the tank will not be availabe for three weeks. Of course this only happens when you are on the road. I plan to stop at the Air Stream dealer in Montana to see if they can fix this problem without replacing the tank. I suspect a tank replacement will be in my future eventually. I keep the forum appraised of my progress.
SeymourAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Hello Airstream Freaks,

I recently had a leak in my 2011 25fb freshwater tank so I dropped the tank and had a crack in the fitting of my suction side.

I ordered a new tank from an airstream dealer in Oklahoma and had it drop shipped to me in Kansas. I got the part number from the 2011 airstream parts list online.

Well today I got everything organized and began the process of re installing and realized that there was no fitting to re install my water level monitor. Ugh!

Trying to find a remedy but now know this is either going to involve a lengthy discussion with my oklahoma a/s dealer and cost for shipping back, not to mention the time.

thanks
Steve
I have the same problem on my 2012 25rb freshwater tank. See post below.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:57 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hutchinson , Kansas
That's too bad Seymour. Those things seem to happen at the most worst times.

I bought my tank from an airstream dealer and had it dropped shipped to me. $219 plus $80 for shipping and I had it in a week. Can't believe yours would take longer.

I don't think that it is a design flaw so much as the threaded water line is over tightened into the tank fitting that causes that fitting to pull away and crack. I learned that from another thread on here and mine was definitely overtightened.
Good luck!
Old 08-20-2017, 05:39 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
That's too bad Seymour. Those things seem to happen at the most worst times.

I bought my tank from an airstream dealer and had it dropped shipped to me. $219 plus $80 for shipping and I had it in a week. Can't believe yours would take longer.

I don't think that it is a design flaw so much as the threaded water line is over tightened into the tank fitting that causes that fitting to pull away and crack. I learned that from another thread on here and mine was definitely overtightened.
Good luck!
I have a theory on the suction flange failure. Attached to this flange is a 90 degree elbow and about 12 inches of PEX. This is then attached to a 2 foot section of tubing that goes to the water pump. On my unit none of this is secured to any support. The water pump produces a lot of vibration in the water lines and I suspect this is translated to the 12 inch stiff PEX tubing which acts as a lever arm to cause fatigue at the flange. After I get mine fix/repaired I plan to secure the tubing to something to prevent this. Just a thought.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:32 PM   #17

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Mine was the drain, 3" of tube to valve, straight shot.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:37 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Ok, I finally got a temporary fix to my freshwater leak. I stopped my the Airstream Dealer in Spokane, Washington, where they cut an access hole in my tank cover then cut off the supply flange that was cracked. They then put a 1/2 inch rubber expansion plug in the remaining hole. They then dropped the PEX tubbing from the water pump into a new hole drilled in the top of the tank. Everything worked fine for 12 hours then we sprung a new leak in the tank drain flange. We were 400 miles away from the shop so I used a hacksaw blade to cut this flange off as well and bought another 1/2 inch rubber expansion plug and fixed it myself. I must have a lemon of a tank in that I have had failures of the intake, outtake, and drain flanges. I plan to replace the tank when we get back home. I think I could have the whole job myself on the road after seeing what the Airstream Dealer did.