Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Delton , Michigan
Question A Way To Filter Well Water?

Hi Forumers... :0
I plan on dry camping as much as possible. I'm used to hand-hauling 5 gallong jerry cans to fill my fresh water tank. I usually use a big funnel and try to hold it while I pour from the jerry can. Has anyone come up with a nifty procedure for filtering camp water (usually form a well spigot) before it goes into the tank?
Pete
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I take it you mean this water will still be caried from the spigot to the camper in a 5 gallon container and not by hose directly from the spigot.

The latter means you could buy a filter system from Home Depot that cleans all the bugs and sediments out and the direct pressure into the camper.

The hand carry option means that if you are not near the spigot all the time you would have to lug the filtration system with you each time to hook up - else others will use (and possibly take) it. Both will mean you end up with clean - I would still boil for direct use.

Even with this, I would regularly sanitize my water system with bleach - lots of hook up issues and contamination oppertunities.

There are chemical additives you can add to the tank water to kill of harmful bugs - I do not recommend them - bromine additives are what we use aboard ship in foreing ports.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote