Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Yellville , Arkansas
'93 Limited 34' Water Heater won't fill

I am working on putting a newly acquired '93 Limited back in service after a number of years of no use by the PO. So far so good except in checking before turning the hot water heater on, I've found the drain plug out. No problem says me because my Sovereign has a collection of three valves for bypassing the water heater. All I have to do is find those in the Limited and open them to the heater. That's where I've hit a stone wall. I've found two valves under the bathroom sink (adjacent to the water heater), - both open - ,but no third valve and I still have no water into the water heater. I am hooked to an outside water supply and get water from all taps, hot and cold. The owner's manual says nothing about bypass valves and seems to indicate that the water heater should fill on its own whenever water is supplied to the trailer. I'm up against a deadline and could really use and would greatly appreciate some help from some of you who know about these things. I'm really stumped!
GeraldVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Most by-pass setups are located right at the back of the water heater. Mine has a two way valve at each connection to the water heater and a line connected between them.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
In my 94, I had to reach and feel for them under the bathroom sink. They are not in a direct line of site. At first I thought my camper did not have them.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Yellville , Arkansas
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I'll have another look. As I indicated initially, however, I found two valves behind an interior partition under the bathroom sink and at what would be the back of the water heater. I used a mirror and flashlight to find those. I can't see any others and a pretty thorough "blind grope around" effort didn't yield anything else. Can't figure out why the owner's manual makes no mention of a bypass manifold. My Sovereign manual goes to great length to warn against turning the water heater on with no water in the heater. Guess I should just be thankful that no leaks have shown up. Better too little water than too much.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Yellville , Arkansas
Water Heater Not Filling Still Unresolved

My problem with not being able to fill the water heater in a '93 34' Classic Limited remains unresolved. I can't find the by-pass valve manifold even after looking again behind the partition under the bathroom sink. Also called AS's tech support last Thursday and their "within 24 hours" call back is yet to come. Can anyone give me factual information on how to get water to the water heater?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:59 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Yellville , Arkansas
Just for the record

Finally found the missing valve manifold. Turns out there are 5 valves down under the bathroom sink. The three associated with the water heater cannot be seen looking in the obvious access. Lay down on the floor and look in below and there they are, plain as day and easy enough to reach. Problem solved!! Hope this helps someone else.

Tags
limited, water heater