Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2003, 09:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
['77 23' Safari] Drain valve location for freshwater tank ?

I have a 77 23' safari and cannot find the drain valve for the freshwater tank. The fill is on the street side and I have a small hose coming out of the belly pan on the street side behind the rear axle. I have looked under the wardrobe closet on the street side but it looks like the PO ran some ducting for the heater system so I cannot see underneith very well. Any suggestions would be welcomed so I dont have to drop the belly pan to find it.
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 05:48 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

hi i have a 76 safari and the drain valve for mine is under the sink in the bathroom there are two valves one of them is the fresh water drain valve open it and turn on your water pump and it should drain in about ten or fifteen minutes about an hour or two without the pump on i have a manual and could make some copies and send them to you by the way mine is a twin bed rear bath unit
paul k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Drain valve

Paulk,
Thank you for your reply. If I get a chance tomorrow night I will look and see if I can find it , and I will let you know. Where does the water drain out at?
We have the single twin and the pull out couch on ours.
Thanks again
Mike B
Old 11-04-2003, 08:52 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Mike,

You may not have a drain for the fresh water tank. I searched for mine for a long time. I finally just asked my Airstream mechanic when I dropped of my trailer for some other work. He told me that mine didn't have a fresh water drain, and that the tank was meant to be emptied using the pump. He said the drain was removed from the trailer for a few years during the Beatrice Foods cost cutting era.

Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 03:30 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Mike,
It took me a while to find my drain valve.
It is located right next to the filler hose inlet to the water tank. The hose that goes to the water pump is also in the same area. The water pump hose tees off and goes to a drain valve, located in teh subfloor where the tank mounts to. The subfloor is accessible through the galley cabinet, and i have to reach down inside a cavity to get to it. I kow thatmy trailer is older, and a different model, but maybe this helps.
Maybe if you follow the filler hose, or the water pup feed line, you might find it.
Good luck.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Drain valve

Hi all
Thank you to those who helped try and answer my question. I did find the two valves in the bathroom where Paulk said the were . I opened them up and did get some water out, but I had drained the freshwater tank with the pump into the gray water tank and drained it before I put the trailer in our garage. I will probably pull it out this weekend and put some water in the tank and start up the water heater so I can see what valve is for the hot water side and which is the freshwater valve.
Thanks again
Mike B
Old 11-05-2003, 10:22 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

drain valves

hey mike
the other valve under the sink is for the city water hookup you open that valve if you are hooked up to city water and it bypasses the fresh water tank there should be a garden hose style conector on the rear street side bottom of your trailor for the city water hookup hopes this helps
paulk
paul k is offline   Reply With Quote