Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
75' Tradewind replace tanks?

Hey there. Well, I got my dream. A '75 Tradewind. PO delivered it last Saturday night. What he didn't tell me, and I couldn't see it at night, was that the trailer had been in a flood or something. It also reeks of dead things. It's a gut job.

As of 4:30 this afternoon it is now free of all interior except the bathroom. I can't figure out how to remove the toilet. Any help here?

I've got to remove the freshwater tanks to replace/repair them. I know I can do this without lifting the shell, right? I'd do a shell off on this trailer but I don't have that much time with 2 and 4 year old boys who need a dad.

Anybody know of a thread I can read and look at pics of for removing the tanks and repairing the floor?

Ed/breadbug
Breadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadbug View Post
Hey there. Well, I got my dream. A '75 Tradewind. PO delivered it last Saturday night. What he didn't tell me, and I couldn't see it at night, was that the trailer had been in a flood or something. It also reeks of dead things. It's a gut job.

As of 4:30 this afternoon it is now free of all interior except the bathroom. I can't figure out how to remove the toilet. Any help here?

I've got to remove the freshwater tanks to replace/repair them. I know I can do this without lifting the shell, right? I'd do a shell off on this trailer but I don't have that much time with 2 and 4 year old boys who need a dad.

Anybody know of a thread I can read and look at pics of for removing the tanks and repairing the floor?

Ed/breadbug
A service manual would provide those answers, and a ton more.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadbug

Ed/breadbug
Oh, I forgot, I also wanted to ask if it's worth keeping the original water pump and repairing it or should I just replace with better? I never ran the pump and don't know if it works. It has a belt drive that is exposed. Kinda leary about having a belt drive pump in the cabinet.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadbug View Post
Oh, I forgot, I also wanted to ask if it's worth keeping the original water pump and repairing it or should I just replace with better? I never ran the pump and don't know if it works. It has a belt drive that is exposed. Kinda leary about having a belt drive pump in the cabinet.
Airstream used the belt type pump, for many many years, and with great success.

Those original pumps still have repair kits available.

They are still available, but expensive, as they far outlast all other pumps.

Andy
Old 01-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Totally cool. Then I'll keep and fix the pump. I might relocate it though since I've got the chance.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1976 31' Sovereign
Boonsboro , Maryland
So how do I know what/how to repair one of the belt driven pumps?
I'm in the same boat- old belt driven pump that runs but does not move any water..
Is there a kit?
mnboy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnboy1960 View Post
So how do I know what/how to repair one of the belt driven pumps?
I'm in the same boat- old belt driven pump that runs but does not move any water..
Is there a kit?
Yes, there are kits.

You will need to know the make and model number of your pump.

Andy
Old 03-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1976 31' Sovereign
Boonsboro , Maryland
Thanks Andy!
Will be in touch when I get back in the trailer..
mnboy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1975 tradewind, 25'